HybridZ

Water Temperature Sending Unit Repair

Bartman

I'm using the stock 240Z Water Temperature Sending Unit on my LT1 and it's been working fine. It appears that during my recent engine modifications the sending unit broke. It looks like it has a ceramic insulator on it, similar to what you would find on a spark plug; and that's the part that broke. Will the sending unit still work and/or is there some way to repair it? If not where can I find a new one? I think I've seen them on eBay once in a while, but I don't see one there now.

Since Ed mentioned O'reilly's I thought I'd check out PartsAmerica online. I used them to buy a couple of brake lines last weekend and it worked out great.

They have them so I went ahead and purchased one. It doesn't come with the nut but I'm hoping I can use my old one.

www.partsamerica.com

(I guess the company owns Checker, Schucks, Kragen, Advance, and Murray's)

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I installed the one I got from PartsAmerica and it leaks!

I figured I must need to get one with a retaining nut, so I bought another sending unit and retaining nut from MSA. The parts arrived yesterday, and the nut doesn't seem to fit on the sending unit any better than my old retaining nut on the PartsAmerica sending unit.

How can I install a Datsun sending unit on my engine without any leaks?

From what i have read, have you used any teflon tape to wrap the threads a couple of times? Might explain why its leaking...
Yes I used teflon tape on the threads, but I think it's leaking between the sending unit and the nut (no threads here, it's just an interferance fit). In fact I think the teflon tape on the threads caused me to lose my ground and made the gauge stop working.

I put teflon tape on the threads of both my stock oil pressure sending unit and my water temperature sending unit, and now neither one of the gauges work...there might be some connection.