HybridZ

Latest update on '33 dodge, almost done

dr_hunt

Well, it took about a year to accumulate all the parts and about 3 months of weekends and most of this week, but I can say it's about finished. Left to do is hook up the trans cooler, electrical wiring, install dizzy, change plugs, fab throttle, install floor plates in cab, replace knuckle ujoints and weld front diff, and bolt the bed on. Add fluids, tires and wheels and we're gone.

s_stuff_214.jpg

Here's a shot of the fuel cell, pump and battery location. We stole the fuel system out of the Monte, since it's going TT it needs the new one I bought that's sitting in boxes.

s_stuff_215.jpg

The front driveline ended up being 2 piece since it was 68 1/2 inches center of ujoint cup to ujoint cup. That's ok cause the rear was super short. We fabbed our own drivelines, hope they hold up. Looking forward to that alcohol smell again even if it is in the mud. They are starting sand drags in El Paso too, so we'll venture down there for that too! Yes sir, that's an alcohol buring 357 cubic inch SBC dart block, AFR headed, roller cammed, potential pinks 2 motor sitting right there, dyno'd at 630HP on alky, 580HP on gas. All that in an 1800lb 4 wheel drive dodge truck, gee what fun this is going to be!

s_stuff_216.jpg

Do alot of people build a truck from scratch like that? or are you a pioneer?

I remember seeing a few videos of this sport but most were in production trucks.

I haven't seen anyone build a truck from scratch like this one. Here at least I'm a pioneer and noted for carrying a big lunch box! I have watched this sport for several years and built several engines here for the sport. Lately there have been some out of towners' date=' namely the owner of the Cyborg monster truck and Tough Enough monster truck, Jack, come whip up on the locals with a Datsun truck with a 472 inch BBC and a 250 shot of NOS. I built this to hopefully give him a whoopin' with a little ol' 350 chevy. Catch this, it weighs around 1800lb whereas most weigh 3000lb or more.

In the middle picture, is that a 1/2" tow hook you cut out?

No, that is some 3/4-inch plate that I cut the lower pitman arm out of. It was a total pain in the a$$ to drill and bevel the three holes where it mounts to the front spindle and the ball joint for the steering tie rod. It took me all day to cut, bend and get the holes beveled by hand using a torch, drill press and a die grinder with carbide bits. Oh, and you notice there's two cut out, that's cause the first one ended up being too long. I used a 2wd chevy steering box and they have less travel lock to lock, so I had to make another one that was shorter. So, I have an extra that is longer.

I'll take pic's with the 39.5's that I have which are on nice weld aluminum wheels. I think I"m going to paint the frame black, I don't know if I'll paint the rest of it or not. Finished rebuilding the front axle u joints today and packed the bearings. Weld the diff tomorrow. I found out today that my wilwood master cylinder won't be here until tuesday next week, so it'll be a week before I get it going. Race on the 24th here in town, so that'll be it's maiden voyage.