HybridZ

The longest possible stroke in an L

TheNeedForZ

Looking for more than 83mm LD crank.

What's the longest stroke than can be put into an L engine...if the bores are notched to clear the rods. The diesel engine has a taller block but does that equal to a longer cylinder that can take even longer stroke? Rod/stroke ratio is overrated, don't need that.

Thanks

Guest iskone

You might want to ask DAW aboout that. I seem to remember him telling me something about that, I could be remembering things fuzzy though.

Isk

Guest iskone

Longer rods won't give you a longer stroke. If the crank has a 83mm throw it doesn't matter what the rods have no matter what. The rods could have a 500mm length the piston will still only move 83mm.

Isk

I think he meant if you have 5mm shorter rods you can lengthen the stroke by 5mm to get the same deck height. Which is also wrong. If you shorten the rod by 5mm you can lengthen the stroke by 10mm.

This is completely irrelevant to the question.

Longest I've heard of was 85mm with a weld/offset grind on the LD crank.

I would be interested to know what sort of block clearance issues this has also.

Dave

i think what 1fastz meant was that the rod bearing diameter of maxima was 5mm smaller-then you could offset grind a crank with rod journels 5mm smaller for +5mm stroke.if you did that to ld28 you would be +7mm .i wonder what maxima engine he was refering to-vg30?if you are a machinist you make things fit-after you scrounge them from pick&pull .may be some toyota rods?

Maxima rods are 5mm smaller than L series...

Two concerns with these 1982-84 Maxima rods are the [smaller] piston pin diameter of 20.0mm (all the other L series rods have 21.0mm) and the use of the weaker 8mm diameter rod bolts.

"Two concerns with these 1982-84 Maxima rods are the [smaller] piston pin diameter of 20.0mm (all the other L series rods have 21.0mm) and the use of the weaker 8mm diameter rod bolts."

Pshhh, Youll need full floating wrist pins anyways, and you can add a 22mm Wrist pin, in a maxi rod.

And the rod bolt scenerio, 9mm ones are easily insertable as well.

Yes Im not talking length here, im talking Diameter of the journal.

It can be done.