HybridZ

Protecting non rusted car.

Cruez

Not exactly a Z question,

but on the 510 wagon that I just got... there is no rust in or on the car but I want to further protect it from rust..

What would you suggest I do for the interior when I pull all of the stuff out of it? anything ?.. besides the overspray that will come from the car gets painted.

What about the factory tar pads.?? leave them ?

I think the best way to keep it from rusting is to sell it to me.... Of course I'm kidding, If the factory tar pads are not lifting at the edges, I would leave them. I know most will disagree with that but on the several cars that I have removed the stuff on, If it was still sealed well, the metal looked great under there.

Keep it clean and dry. If you have a leak at windshieldcowel like the Z's tend to do, get it fixed.

Inside the doors, make sure the drain holes are clear and all the dirtdust that holds moisture is cleaned out before you paint.

Other than that, the only thing I can think of is to keep it my garage. ;)

How about, clean the chassis real good. Inspect it real close inside and out.

Note: I found a rusted through area about the size of a quarter under the sound proffing tar mat!!! It had started from moisture that crept under a frame rail flange below the car. Pushed my finger through it by accident. Used a large flat bladed screwdriver to push check similar areas.

I have been pleased with the use of, and the reputation of, Masterseries Coatings. Especially where not exposed to the out side (where it can be seen). It's tough stuff and can be primed over without any special tye coats. Can be sprayed as well but, I like to lay it on the areas that I have been using it for, with a cheap brush!

http://www.masterseriesct.com/

The link has some good reads in it. There are other dealers but I like this guy and he is not the most expensive dealer out there.

If your project gets to be to much....I'll come pick it up for free!!:D

Maybe the little 510 can come visit sometime :D.

Thats along the lines that I was thinking about though... some type of coating to put over the existing floors without scraping the existing one off.

I figured an extra coat of something to protect from rust would pay for itself in the long run and I wanted to do it before putting in the insulation / new carpet etc...

I started scraping the crappily sprayed paint job yesterday....