HybridZ

Thinking about redoing the interior with a little leather... thoughts?

olie05

I have a few Ideas, as my current carpet is gross and will be replaced soon, i want to cover up the trans tunnel properly...

1) Buy some leather and install it where the factory vinyl used to be, ( my car never came with it, just ugly carpet ALL over the interior) and purchase a stock carpet kit, designed for use with the stock vinyl. Would this be worth it? or should I....

2) Get a good quality carpet and just cover the interior in it, securing it properly everywhere.

I'm also thinking about covering my dash in leather. Right now I have a half dash cap, and under it I have a few cracks. How hard would that be to do?

I still have to cover a steering wheel in leather... haven't gotten around to that yet!

If you're going to cover the dash in leather, I'd suggest making a new one from fiberglass as an option first, and then covering that. Since it would be covered, surface finish wouldn't be that important. It would also be much lighter than the factory dash.

Good idea z-tard, but I don't think i'm even going to do leather any more :(

I was warned by a good friend that leather is impossible to work with compared to vinyl, in terms of lining up threading holes and fitting it properly.

My plan as of now, after hearing the encouragement for the diamond vinyl trans tunnel:

Vinyl trans tunnel (don't think these came on the 280's, correct me if i'm wrong)

carpet kit, the standard kind, just floors, behind seats, and rear deck.

The dash cap I have looks good, but I think I will eventually swing a full cap instead of a half cap, cus Even though most people don't see the seam, I do, and it bothers me, so full cap, glued on will be the solution. (mine is just laid on right now)

thanks for the input!

oh yeah, someday I will cover that momo wheel in suede.

Why don't you get some synthetic suede leather to work with for the interior. The stuff looks great, lasts longer than real suede and is used by a number of high end car manufacturers. Just a thought.

Davy

• 1 month later...

Hey I've got an extra molded carpet kit i need to get rid of. Its the darkest black i could find and its been unfolded since i got it so its had a chance to relax into its proper shape after shipping. It also has that fiber padding adhered to the bottom under the foot and seat areas for cushion and insulation. Comes in 2 halves, left and right. Whole set is pretty lightweight. I guess it can either be glued in or just placed in, although id go for some 3m spray adhesive. Just note it is kind of a pain in the ass to install these if youre really meticulous. I ended up quitting like halfway through installation.

I got double charged and sent two sets. Mishap dldn't get resolved and ive only got one z... Paid 180 shipped each.

I'm looking for 120+shipping. (completely brand new)

I think your idea of covering the dash in leather is a good one. I am considering doing a similar thing but I am going to find out if I can get someone to cover a full dash cap with a slight bit of padding and then the leather on top of that. My original dash is not cracked but very heavy and with a leather padded dash cap as the replacement for the dash would be so much lighter and allow easy work when needing to work under the dash. I hope you do the leather dash because it seems like it should look great in the end.