HybridZ

Back Wheel Wobbles

My back passenger side wheel wobbles a lot. You can feel/hear it at around 30mph, over that and then its forced to go straight and starts to calm down. At first I thought it was a toe problem and that the wheel was trying to correct itself but im starting to think this is not the problem because I think Ive straighted up the toe (going to alignment shop soon to find out for sure) I've also jacked up the car and forced the wheel around with no play at all so I assume the bearings are okay. Anybody have/had this problem or know what could be causing it?

Bent stub axle is my bet. IIRC you can pull the stub and have it turned to fix if it isn't really bent, or you can just replace it. Any bend at the stub will be magnified at the tire. This happened on my wifes Sentra years ago and I was chasing warped drums for a while before I figured it out, that might help you confirm your problem.

Could also be a bent wheel of course.

Anyone know where I can get a new one online? Not having luck googleing and I dont want the 5 lug MM ones.

How about a good used one from zbarn.com? Otherwise MSA or Blackdragonauto should have a new one, if memory serves.

Davy

The boys are probably right with the bent stub axle, but if that pans out, I had a similar problem with one of my rears and it turned out to be an out-of-round tyre. Replaced it, and problem fixed.

It would be easy to spot, just put the wheel on a balancer and you should be able to see the problem.

cheers - Simon

The boys are probably right with the bent stub axle' date=' but if that pans out, I had a similar problem with one of my rears and it turned out to be an out-of-round tyre. Replaced it, and problem fixed.

It would be easy to spot, just put the wheel on a balancer and you should be able to see the problem.

cheers - Simon[/quote']

I had a very similar problem with a tire, and if you looked at it from the back while the car was driving, it looked as if the rim was bent. (wobbling)

How about a good used one from zbarn.com? Otherwise MSA or Blackdragonauto should have a new one' date=' if memory serves.

Davy[/quote']

Thanks, didnt see it on zbarn but I sent an email and will check the others also.

olderthanme, thanks for confirming I'm not crazy and that only I could see the post I made.

Hopefully if anyone searches in the future their tire will be wack and these suggestions will help.

I just think that since you have like no backspace that you hit a good bump and put a lot of bending force on your stub axle. maybe time for some 15"x 14" wide rear rims...

btw...I drive a Found On Road Dead explorer and it has the same problem...some airhead in a 93 accord smacked the right rear wheel and we replaced the wheel but it still wobbles so it is the axle that is bent.

It was a problem before I had the wheels and before I had the car, so the wheels are going to stay for now. Finding a replacement for the thing is proving difficult though, I've sent emails to all I could but dont see it listed on any websites. I found one from courtest nissan but its for a 280zx.