HybridZ

??? Fair Price For Low Mile LS1... & T56 ???

Guest Mike

Hi All... I'm sorry if this has been covered... I couldn't find anything.

What is a fair price for a good used low mile very complete LS1... with say... 10K miles... and maybe 30K miles?

Same for a T56...?

Depends on the Year - 02-04 Pull the Most While 98s dont pull as much. Everything will be atleast 2500 though

Someone offered to sell me a late model very complete LS1 w/ 12K miles for $3K. What I'm seeing is that is a fair price?

Reply with the Year? Its more than just the milage. 3k for Engine only seems high to me.

This one is a 2002. It does have an LS6 intake, if that makes a difference. BTW, he wants another $1K for the matching T56.

This one is a 2002. It does have an LS6 intake, if that makes a difference. BTW, he wants another $1K for the matching T56.

BUY A COMPLETE WRECKED CAR FOR THAT KIND OF CASH. unless you do not want to bother parting out a car. Just my .02

BUY A COMPLETE WRECKED CAR FOR THAT KIND OF CASH. unless you do not want to bother parting out a car. Just my .02

Thanks EvilC,

A few years ago this is exactly what I would've done. I can't do that kind of work anymore so I need to find a complete engine and hire a mechanic to install it. I can do some light-duty work... pull heads, intake, distributer... those sorts of things.

Mike

Thanks EvilC' date='

A few years ago this is exactly what I would've done. I can't do that kind of work anymore so I need to find a complete engine and hire a mechanic to install it. I can do some light-duty work... pull heads, intake, distributer... those sorts of things.

Mike[/quote']

I understand.... well then I guess that combo at that price isn't that bad. That is very low mileage, so I would say go for it and get another LS1 Z on the road.

FWIW, prices on 2001-2002 F body pull outs on the site I linked to you went up over a grand since last December. I called that place and they only ebay list a fraction of the pull outs they sell. The guy said everyone wants the later engines. However, the supply of low mile, 4+ year old cars is getting more and more limited while prices on the LS2 stuff remians through the roof.

Private listings (ls1tech, craigslist, etc) or buying a whole vehicle is defintely a cheaper way to go, but any cost savings can quickly evaporate should you get a bad engine or especially transmission. Most places want something like $1500 to rebuild a T56. At least with that Fparts ebay shop you have a chance of the guy shipping out a replacement unit under their warranty.

I am in agreement with Pop N Wood, -I have been watching F-parts ebay store for over a year and the prices are rising. There is another ebay store by the name of Pickapart ? and they from time to time have complete drivetrains on site. One of the things I have learned from this site is to not rush, I have passed on 3 deals and I am now noticing the GTO salvage vehicles being listed, and sadly for the owner but great for hot rodders you might get a good deal. Also, FYI check with your local Corvette performance shops -Some C5 owners are unloading OE motors for 427 engines.

I understand.... well then I guess that combo at that price isn't that bad. That is very low mileage, so I would say go for it and get another LS1 Z on the road.

I'll have a hard time keeping this one "on the road" because she'll want to FLY:p

FWIW' date=' prices on 2001-2002 F body pull outs on the site I linked to you went up over a grand since last December. I called that place and they only ebay list a fraction of the pull outs they sell. The guy said everyone wants the later engines. However, the supply of low mile, 4+ year old cars is getting more and more limited while prices on the LS2 stuff remians through the roof.

Private listings (ls1tech, craigslist, etc) or buying a whole vehicle is defintely a cheaper way to go, but any cost savings can quickly evaporate should you get a bad engine or especially transmission. Most places want something like $1500 to rebuild a T56. At least with that Fparts ebay shop you have a chance of the guy shipping out a replacement unit under their warranty.[/quote']

Thanks for the info Pop N Wood. This is excellent advice.

Regarding price vs. risk... it seems that an eqivalent motor/transmission from Fparts costs about half again more or twice that of buying from this individual. This is approximately $2-4K increase in cost. If the first engine is a lemon, I can buy a second one (hopefully good) and resell the first as parts. I don't know... just something to consider, I guess. What do you think?

I am in agreement with Pop N Wood, -I have been watching F-parts ebay store for over a year and the prices are rising. There is another ebay store by the name of Pickapart ? and they from time to time have complete drivetrains on site. One of the things I have learned from this site is to not rush, I have passed on 3 deals and I am now noticing the GTO salvage vehicles being listed, and sadly for the owner but great for hot rodders you might get a good deal. Also, FYI check with your local Corvette performance shops -Some C5 owners are unloading OE motors for 427 engines.

Thanks Dudeboy. I tried to find "Pickapart" on eBay with no luck. I also tried "Pick-a-part"... and a couple of other iterations.

EBAY (yes I know this is off-topic)... I have a lot of eBay experience. Watch diligently for "Buy-It-Now" steals and be ready to grab it quick... leave dozens of search pages open and rotate through, refreshing each pass. Also, look for poorly advertised items... misspelled, poorly described, listed in the wrong place, etc. Use one of the third party automated "snipe" tools and have them bid the last 5-10 seconds. I made pretty good extra money on eBay just buying and reselling old camera gear:icon14: But when I took ill, I lost my account. The worst thing about eBay is their total lack of support in dealing with such problems. They suck in that regard:icon13: All I can say is, if one chooses to do a lot of eBay-ing, be sure someone is available to finish any open deals should the need arise.

Thanks Dudeboy.

I wonder why my search for "Pick-a-part" failed? That's just weird.

If I could get a 5K LS2 complete for $6K, I'd bust my budget and skimp elsewhere. Of course we all know the price won't stop at $6K...:cry2: