HybridZ

1970s Toyota Corolla 350?

I had a buddy in high school with an early 70's corrolla with a hopped up 2-tc engine running a pair of dual side draft 45 webers. It was quick for the day running 14.0's in the quarter with one wheel burnouts.

I think they had a twin cam engine j- spec (2-tg I think) that was a straight bolt in. believe with mods that engine was good for around 200+ horse, but good luck find that engine.

I'm not sure a v-8 will fit without seriously cutting up the car. Even if you get the 350 in the engine bay the tranmission tunnel is not that big on those cars.

found this link:

http://www.toysport.com/webpages/Techinfo/References/toyota_twin_cam_article.htm

I have a 76 sr corrolla that i have been playing with for a good 15 years now. You may be able to get a sbc in there but it wont be easy and it will hang way over the front axle. When i but a 2tg in it the handling changed noticable for the worse. i guess the weight gain was around 30 kg on the fron end. Maybe try a buick v6 or some thingsimilar. Weight will be the big issuie.

Douglas

When i was looking for swaps for my 81 corolla, i talked to a guy on the GRM board, and found a cool thread with pics.

1980 Toyota Corolla widebody, supra 5spd transmission, GTS LSD rear, Lexus 1UZFE V8 (almost stock)

DSC_00161.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

here's the link. super cool dude.

eh, im not really looking for a daily drive with good handling, just want one of these small cars with a decent amount of power to play around with on these back roads(im in the sticks out here)

"I had a buddy in high school with an early 70's corrolla with a hopped up 2-tc engine running a pair of dual side draft 45 webers. It was quick for the day running 14.0's in the quarter with one wheel burnouts." haha one wheel burn outs, open rear huh? that reminds me, I recently hopped into a 89 300zx to pull it up about 10 feet on my gravel drive way, and knowing me I had to floor it for about half a second so I did, and the gas pedal got stuck, so the left tire was just spinning out while I was like drifting threw my rocks and my yard till I got the thing unstuck(shoulda turned it off but paniced and started pumping the stuck gas pedal ! LOL)

but yea, im not really looking for a good handling car to drive around town, I will have a 280zx turbo for that.

eh, im not really looking for a daily drive with good handling, just want one of these small cars with a decent amount of power to play around with on these back roads(im in the sticks out here)

Define good handling? It sounds like you're talking about a car with a cush ride in reference to good handling, but what good is power if you can't point it where you want it? That's NO fun. Even if your backroads are unpaved, you still need it to handle well. Fun on the backroads means cornerspeed.