HybridZ

gauging interest

rustrocket

Some of you may think this idea is retarded...but am i the only person who's ever wanted to have their car powdercoated instead of painted?

Would there be a market for a service like this?

The gears in my head are turning...

edit: a service at a reasonable cost?

I've thought about this before but won't it be really expensive and will the car fit in the oven? The Z including bumpers is around 14 feet isn't it? If you account taking off the bumpers what is the average size of a powder coating oven?

Some of you may think i'm an idiot' date=' if you dont already...but am i the only person who's ever wanted to have their car powdercoated instead of painted?

Would there be a market for a service like this?

The gears in my head are turning...[/quote']

This would require an oven big enough to house the car! = BIG BUCKS!!!

There is a power coater in Sacramento, CA that has this capability.

Mark

I was shopping here local (Lake Charles, La.) for someone to powder coat my fuel rail and sand blast my engine bay when I found a guy that asked me " do you want to powder coat the engine bay?"

I asked him huh? you mean you can powder coat my engine bay? He said he could do the whole car....

My concerns would be everything else on the car being "baked". I didn't follow thru with questions on how powder coating the whole car would take place.

I think its something I'd have to think on before having the whole car done.... even just the engine bay.

From what I understand, the industry is moving in this way. The ultimate goal is to use PC as an automobile coating for body panels. There are several hurdles in the way as of now. Coating brittleness when it's too thick (better phrased, coating flexibility), large oven -vs- IR lamps, IE good heating of paint surface, touch up ability, etc... Right now the military is testing low temp powdercoating techniques on fighter aircraft, they're even saying it can be used on wood!! Instead of 425 or so that I use at work, they're talking 200 or so degrees.

I think a PC'd car would be interesting, but damn near impossible to touch up.

Just my .02

Grant