HybridZ

New dyno session

Guest Jason84NA-T

Guest Jason84NA-T

These results were achieved at 20PSI boost on 93 octane fuel with my VG30ET engine. This is a stock 7.8:1 compression bottom end with some head work and cams. My modification list is on my website. Note the astounding difference in the shape of the power curves from the comparison graph below (418rwhp vs 453rwhp). The only changes from last time were:

1.MAF bypass built and retuned allowing...

2. 20PSI instead of 16PSI (speaks for itself)

3. Advanced cam timing 4 degrees (moved powerband down about 350RPM and made some HUGE gains in midrange torque and a loss in the topend)

4. Slightly leaner AFR's into the high 11's instead of mid-low 11's as before.

The new powerband:

jason84na2t6-8dyno.JPG

comparison graphs here FYI (info on graphs):

18psionlycamtiming.JPG

15.8vs20_camtiming.JPG

Unfortunately this is with 270/262 .440"/.420" cams so the difference is not going to be exact to stock cams, but you get the idea. Either way, the power peak would shift about the same amount in RPM (in this case ~350rpm for 4 degrees) from advance/retard. With a smaller turbo that spools sooner I could see someone making some gigantic lowend torque gains by advancing cam timing.

Guest Jason84NA-T

Thanks. My goal of boost-only 500whp on 93 octane looks even closer than ever with a nice turbo upgrade.

out in Kzoo

Uh oh. Please don't advertize. I'd love to meet you and check out your car too, it looks intense. I just wanted to make some money down in Kzoo later this summer when I get the nitrous hooked up again :x

Now the questions are:

GT35R or HX40?

100 or 125 shot?

600RWHP...? sounds tempting.

Uh oh. Please don't advertize. I'd love to meet you and check out your car too, it looks intense. I just wanted to make some money down in Kzoo later this summer when I get the nitrous hooked up again :x

Dont worry I wont tell anyone. 600whp sounds like a great number, Personally I would go with the holset, those things are bada**! Then again so is the GT35R. Wouldn't a 125 shot get you almost to 600?

BTW what did you break down at branson? I seen the pics, but no one answered.

Guest Jason84NA-T
BTW what did you break down at branson? I seen the pics, but no one answered.

An axle stub, it broke right after the splines...

I'm thinking I can hit 480whp+ with just a turbo upgrade. This is currently just a stage 3 turbine in a .63 A/R housing so I can't imagine the exhaust manifold pressure at 20PSI boost.

By my figuring if someone were to run C16 and crank it up to something stupid like 26-28PSI on a HX40 and you're flowing more than 650hp worth of air, making 550+rwhp.

I'm still a little torn on the whole thing. Maximum power numbers are something that people respect, but I drive my car every single day so I figure I should be focused on making the most of what I have at any given time. My boost controller is rarely set to "low". It already gets almost 30MPG on the highway. I want this car to be the daily driven fire-breathing Z31 turbo monster without making special trips and paying more for fuel.

That is pretty awsome!

Your low end numbers seem to indicate some lag or simply a larger turbo. What are you running?..edit oh I'll check your site.

Its nice to see someone making some headway with vg power. Another year or two, and I'll probably catch up to where you are now.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Scott

Impressive results, cast crank and all :) Its great to see someone developing the single cam VG30 in such a methodical and well illustrated way, a very under rated engine.

As far as turbos go, my VG30DET has a GT35R with a 1.06 a/r turbine. The car is still being built but the theory is that for daily driving there will be little boost available, which is fine. From experience a turbo that spools up low in the rev range is a PITA, you just don't need a lot of lower range power in daily driving, relatively.

Given the basic similarity between the VG30ET and the RB30ET, it may be of interest to know that the GT35R with a .86 a/r turbine on a RB30ET gives big big mid range performance.