HybridZ

New found RESPECT

Cody 82 ZXT

I've been wanting to paint my Z for a few years now and have always had an interest in painting. I have an 87 Prelude SI that I bought several years ago that was always a second car to the Z. It needed paint and I thought this would be a great way to get some practice and skills before laying down the perfect paint for the Z. The perfect time came this week as we are moving out of a rent house and into our own new home (3 car garage) next week. I could get practice, make a mess in this garage, and have a painted daily driver all in one shot. I just finished laying down the paint and let me tell you that after about 24 hours of labor over the last few days I now have some major respect for painters and the buisness as a whole.

Kudos to all the guys and gals that do a good job! You have my respect!

After having done three paint jobs - an old Subaru wagon, a BMW 1602, and my Z, I must say I'm *amazed* that paint shops can do what they do as well as they do as cheap as they do. The hours and hours and hours involved are staggering; the work is both tiresome and tedious, and the cost of materials is high. I understand that the pro's have all the right tools, and know how to use them, and know all the tricks, and know what to pay attention to and what to ignore, and get their materials cheaper than I could, but still -

[edit] and not only *that*, but the actual skills involved aren't trivial, and not only *that*, but there's a certain degree or artistry involved that I don't seem to have, and not only *that*, but ...

I hear ya on the new found respect for paint and body people. I recently did my first paint job (the zx in my sig) and I have got to tell you that it was a lot more work than I could have ever anticipated. There are 8 coats of PPG on this car. Well kinda anyway. I shot 8 coats. But how many layers did I have to sand down to repair the flaws that were not visible with primer? I have no idea. But I do understand now the difference between $500.00 and $5,000.00 paint jobs. I learned a lot though and will do it again.

I know what ya mean about how many layers actually end up on the car. When I pulled mine out into the real light today I can see thin spots where I thought I had put on enough color. I wanted to redo some of it today But, I'm just to tired from the last few days of marathon paint prep and all the hassles with paperwork for the closing of the new house. Maybe Sunday, I can seek a little work into it.

Glad there is a few zx'es out there.Ive painted a few cars and also feel the pro's do a good job for the money,but its nice to think you have done most of the work yourself ,I dont know it just feels better.On you for having a go and the finish gets much better each time.Has anyone seen a T top with the big twin stripes or does it clash with the dark panels in the roof? col