HybridZ

Think I screwed my Alternator - Z31

I was driving my Z, the taurus fan kicked in on low, all my dash sensor lights lit up, the gauge showed about 11 on the scale, I revved it up and no change. I turned it off, turned it back on and still same. I smelled a burning rubber smell initially but it went away. I was able to drive home and every so often the lights would light up on the dash, and the gauge would go from 12 to 11, (before last night I usually had 14) I made it home and turned it off. I tried it this morning and it started again, but when I revved it up for a sec and hit about 4k, those lights came on for a second, then disappeared. I think my alt is going out. What do you think?

Can i go with a different alternator? I am on 33.6k at home so I am sorry for not searching. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

Check your belt first, it could be loose. If not check your pulleys. Take your belt off and spin the altenator and Idler pulley (I think you have one). If they are fine check your wiring harness going into the altenator (Those are not usually problematic for Nissan but hey it could happen). Then take your altenator off and take it to an auto parts store and have them check it. If it's bad then you already have the core with you and you saved yourself another trip. Best of luck.

OK, I am at work now so I have faster access now. I put my car on jack stands so that in the morning I am going to pull it. They want a $100 for a new alternator for my car with a LLT warranty. I have heard so many bad things about autozone's alternator, I dont want to nor do I have $100. I already checked the belts and it was snug, I am going to have autozone test it and see. If it is bad, i am going to Pillage-N-Plunder (picknpull) and I am going to pull one off of a junker. I am going to search now for that one wire gm conversion I keep hearing about and see if anyone lists a model number to go off of.

Interesting thought, my alternator is on the bottom left pass side. Shouldnt it be on the bottom right drivers side since mines NA?

I took my battery in and had it tested and it tested fine, I then took off my alternator to have them bench test it, all three areas failed. I then broke down and bought the 1992 Maxima alternator which pumps out 90 amps, instead of 70. Once I got a hold of a desktop grinder, i had no problems mounting it. I did have problems with the belts as mine must have been severely stretched. I followed all the tips I read online everywhere, but I ended up going with the stock power steering belt, and I had to go with the goodyear gatorbelt which is slightly smaller then the normal 300zx belt 305k4 but bigger then the belt 300k4. That was the only way to get mine to stop squealing. Runs like a champ and I hit 14 volts on my volt gauge.