HybridZ

New Pics of my Disc Brakes Mounted &Wheels mounted

I have new pics up of the outlaw discs mounted, the rear Wilwood Billet Caliper mounted (They are Billet, I double checked the model #) and the wheels on the hubs. Rears mount with a 1/4inch spacer.

Pics are here: www.yahoo.comdat74z

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

[This message has been edited by Mikelly (edited February 12, 2001).]

Mike, you've got wehat looks like 4lug on the back still - does my rotor fit okay?

Looking at th eJCR brackets it looks like the could be made from flat steel. Say 3 pieces. One that mounts to the strut, another piece as a spacer to space it out, and another for the caliper - yes? Would it be possible to secure it with just 2 bolts to the strut so the stub wouldn't have to come out? What about a second mount for the Willwood spots mounted to the lower 2 bolts?

I've asked SCCA to price up a set of bolt-ons for the rear using Outlaw calipers and Willwood spots smile.gif I've got this sinking feeling I'll be selling my 4Runner front calipers, 240SX calipers, and 5lug rotors up front. Anyone interested? frown.gif

Guest JAMIE T

Ya see, this is why I love this place, everyone puts 100% into these cars. They love them. Now my Mustang is for sale, and people are e-mailing me left and right for it. hopefully it will sell soon biggrin.gif Funny thing is everyone who has told me that I was stupid for wanting to put my Supercharged 302 in a Z dropped there jaws when they saw Dariuses car in action, I know I have the horsepower now all I need is a 2500lb Z to put it in. TIRE SMOKE AND RACE GAS FOREVER!!!

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, bracket does look simplistic. Either a two (or three) piece weldment, or milled from billet. I guess the trick is in the dimensions. Good looking setup and the wheels look Great Mike.

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Mike,

Do yo know if the early Maxima brackets are the same or would work with those calipers? What are the dimensions? If you post the dimensions I will compare them to the early brackets I have & let every one know. OH NO! Here we go with the rear brackets again.

Glenn

Mike, those wheels and brakes look GREAT!

Does that bracket by any chance have the same function as the old Z-Quip Bracket? Used late 280ZX disc and rotor (I think)? Or was it early 280ZX? Anyway, it looks like the same dimensions, roughly. I wonder if Z-QUip is still around and making them. They were like $130 a pair or something, 5 years ago.

The 5lug rotor is on in the rear, I just have the wheel spacer on over it to help with the wheel fitment.

Pete, I have no knowledge of the Zquip bracket you speak of. This unit used the 79-81 brake caliper and the Wilwood unit is a direct bolt on with the 5lug rotor Mike/Scca supplies in his rear disc kit.

Thanks for the compliments guys! I'll get pics of the tire/ wheel combo mounted and the rear suspension set up proberly so you can see what the whole package will look like when done!

FYU, those wheels can be had from Summit Racing for $149 each. Break down and swap to 5 lug, 'cause you will not find the right bolt pattern in this wheel size!

Mike

------------------

mjk

Was over at Mike's today - sorry I missed Pete yesterday frown.gif Man, those brakes look GREAT! I thought the calipers would weigh a ton - Mike handed me one and my jaw hit the floor. These puppies as a pair probably weigh what the Toy stuff does EACH. I don't know about the rotors but I'm sold - I'm going to sell what I've got to someone who doesn't need this much brake and buy a set for myself - who also doesn't need that much brake smile.gif

I took some pics and will post them after I've dumped them from the camera if they come out. I'll link here if there's anything really interesting to point out.

Need to figure out the wheel thing too. Mike's wheels look 100% awesome but I'm not sure I'll be able to run 9inch wide rims with a stock wheelwell..? I'm also not keen on making my car look too much like his as we're likely to be seen at some of the same places together and they shouldn't look too much alike IMO..

P.S. Guys, I got mail from JCR in refrence to their brackets (finally). $179 Now the question is will they fit the Outlaw stuff (sounds like Mike got his elsewhere) and what would we do for an E-Brake? Me, I think I'll wait to see what SCCA can cook up for me with Wilwood spots..

[This message has been edited by BLKMGK (edited February 19, 2001).]

I got the front wheel/tire combo straightened out Yesterday and the front of the car is back on the ground. coil overs are lowest setting and I think I'll have plenty of travel. Jim, I'm gonna take a stock fender and hang it back on the car to see if it will clear the wheel as I think it will.

I was running zero offset on an 8in wide 15 inch wheel before. Now i'm running almost 6 full inches inboard, of the 9 inch wide wheel. I have less wheel sticking out now than I did before, so I'm pretty sure the wheel will fit under a stock fender...

Also, the Outlaw stuff should work. I'm told the specs between them and my billet wilwoods are the same dimensions. The wilwood units I'm using are very nice!

Mike

------------------

mjk

[This message has been edited by Mikelly (edited February 21, 2001).]

yes the wilwoods and the outlaw 1000 are IDentical.. (save the name) both billet 2 piston calipers with square cut seals..

outlaws are a billet stainless steel piston not sure on the wilwood???

i think a 9" rim is too wide on the rear for a unflared Z..... i tried supra rims on the convt once and without a rear spacer they still stuck out past the wheel lip..

dont knwo the size but was a 95? supra turbo rims 17x9. or 17x9.5?...... nice rims i could have had for cheap but didnt fit frown.gif

i'm running the 16x7.5" NA 300 (1992) rims all 4 corners.. i am using a 5/8" spacer on the fronts so a 8" will fit.

9" asi know it only fit if 3pce rims and use coilovers above the tires and 8" spring.

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

http://www.fonebooth.com/brakes.html

raceparts and brake upgrades.

The wilwoods are also stainless pistons with billet housings. Nice stuff for the money. Also, not sure if mine will clear the rear without flares, but Im pretty sure they will clear the fronts. I'm gonna have to cut the outer 1/3rd of the round "Seat" for the coil assembly for the rears to fit, even with a 1/4 inch wheel spacer! I'm also running 275-40s out back, so the flares really should be used, but you could run 255/40s all the way around and it would look sweet!

Mike

------------------

mjk

You can fit a 17x9 and 255/45-17s in the rear of a stock fendered Z with 8" coilovers, and a rolled fender lip. I have this setup on my car. Check out "Wheels and Tires" on my site if you're interested in the particulars.

This is the MAX you can fit under a stock Z fender. I don't think an 18" wheel would gain you much, and you'd be running some 35 or 40 sereies tires to make it work!

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

I'd love to run 245 all around - 255's would be all the better! Please do let us know how it works with a stock fender Mike, mine aren't even rolled I don't think. I'm still pondering wheels but with brakes getting so close I'm realizing I'm going to have to speed up this selection! I'll be hunting aorund to see what the various Mustang places have to offer here soon. Mike really does seem to have found a terrific place to get those wheels BTW. smile.gif I hope they make dupes of others.

If I can I'll probably go for a 17X8 wheel, I just don't think I'll be running wide enough tires to warrant the 9s but it will dpeend on what all is offered. The TSW wheels really look nice but are bux... I'll keep everyone posted and maybe do some photoshop work to see what various wheels look like. If I do this I'll use the Orange turbo car that looks so much like mine since I've at least got decent side pics of that car I think...

I'm running 10inch springs (225/200lbs) with 7inch pipes. The seats in the rear are mounted about 7.5inches from the top, not sure about the fronts. We took measurements from Mikelly's car to estimate where to put the seats. Hrm, the longer springs going to hurt me? I'm hoping to have plenty of adjustment room....