HybridZ

Got Plastic! V/R update pics

Zerrari GTO

Now that all the prep work to the Z unibody is complete things are beginning to roll along and this project is starting to get some legs.

I included a couple photos of the trunk area that now has an RX7 fuel tank mounted in the center so I can run Ferrari style dual exhausts. Also shown are the access panels in the trunk and the custom mount I made to use the 280Z sending unit.

I can't wait to fit the body panels and sand until my hands are bleeding!

Crate_of_VR_parts.jpg

VR_parts_uncrated.jpg

Z_ready_for_VR_body.jpg

VR_body_on_car_r.jpg

RX7_tank_mounted.jpg

access_panels_in_trunk.jpg

Z_sending_unit_on_Rx7_tank.jpg

oooh, how I envy you! If I could afford to do this, I would. My Z is in the perfect condition to put this kit on it...What are the colors you're going to be using? Take all the pictures you can! I've been searching all over the net looking for some decent in-the-works pictures for this kit, and if I'm ever able to do it, I could use the info!

oooh, how I envy you! If I could afford to do this, I would. My Z is in the perfect condition to put this kit on it...What are the colors you're going to be using? Take all the pictures you can! I've been searching all over the net looking for some decent in-the-works pictures for this kit, and if I'm ever able to do it, I could use the info!

Afford it??? Did you see how skinny my kid is? He gets two meals of bread and water each day just so he can help me degrease engine parts!

Naw, really everyone including my wife has been really cool about this. You can do it if you budget and plan your build accordingly. Steve Graber's V/R http://www.newtier.com/graber/z-car/ was sold to a guy here in Atlanta so I took a ride in it before taking the plunge. I'm still hooked on the silver he used. It looks vintage and gives the car a kind of " I mean business" feel to it (subtle and not over the top).

Ferrari_Project_018.jpg

If you want to see a great V/R build-up website, Marc Wagner (a member here) has one:http://www.marcsgarage.net/

thanks for the link. you actually got to ride in that one?! I fell in love with the kit when I saw that car, it inspired me. Unfortunately, my budget isn't very big, i'm still in High School. I'm one of the lucky few that managed to get one of their favorite cars for their first car.

Guest beebo

the person i bought my 240 from has the 250 gto kit on a 280 with a blown 400, its just absolutely sick. im gonna ask him if i can get some pix of it.

Awesome JP! It's amazing that they can cram all that fiberglass into that box. Look's like you have alot of holes to cut. When I was working on my kit car's fiberglass I always wore leather gloves. One time without them and you'll remember it for a while.

I really like the removable floor. If you ever need a hand just call and I'll come running.

Nice! Do you have the paint code for that silver?

Good luck on your project!

Mario

Hi Mario,

I don't have the paint code but the color Steve Graber used was a Ford silver from the late 90's. I think the reason he used it was because the metal flake in the paint was large and looked like an early style metalic paint.

I like the silver on his car but I've seen some current silvers from Nissan, Volvo and a few others that I really like. If you or anybody else has a suggestion I would love to hear it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to shoot the car myself so something a rookie can handle would be appreciated.

Nice! Do you have the paint code for that silver?

Mario

This is from an article about his car. I'm sure you could find out exactly what paint it was with a little research. :)

"The striking paint job was done by Frank Alderete's Body and Paint Shop with PPG '93 Ford Probe silver metallic paint with a fine-grain metallic componenent. The body was block-sanded, and a color coat was applied and coated with clear. It's more subtle than most silver paints in use today and very much in character with the '60's body lines."

This is from an article about his car. I'm sure you could find out exactly what paint it was with a little research. :)

"The striking paint job was done by Frank Alderete's Body and Paint Shop with PPG '93 Ford Probe silver metallic paint with a fine-grain metallic componenent. The body was block-sanded, and a color coat was applied and coated with clear. It's more subtle than most silver paints in use today and very much in character with the '60's body lines."

Cool! Thanks for the detective work.

Woo hoo! JP! major headway on the VR. I like what you did with the access panels and gas tank. That plastic looks very nice sitting on your Z.

I'll be putting the plastic on my Z soon too. Unfortunately, it will only be for a short time while I trailer the whole project to my new home (when I buy one) in Washington later this summer. :cry: I am soooooo jealous!

Keep cranking out the great work (and pictures).

Woo hoo! JP! major headway on the VR. I like what you did with the access panels and gas tank. That plastic looks very nice sitting on your Z.

I'll be putting the plastic on my Z soon too. Unfortunately' date=' it will only be for a short time while I trailer the whole project to my new home (when I buy one) in Washington later this summer. :cry: I am soooooo jealous!

Keep cranking out the great work (and pictures).[/quote']

Thanks Marc. Good luck with the move and the new house (something with three or four bays and a lift would be nice!).

Nice work on the VR. It looks awesome!!! I bought a used 250 GTO from John (great guy to deal with) and am in the process of a complete rebuild. So I got lucky and didn't have to deal with any body modification issues. Looks like a lot of effort and work has gone into it so far. Keep it up!!! What are your plans for the power plant???

Nice work on the VR. It looks awesome!!! I bought a used 250 GTO from John (great guy to deal with) and am in the process of a complete rebuild. So I got lucky and didn't have to deal with any body modification issues. Looks like a lot of effort and work has gone into it so far. Keep it up!!! What are your plans for the power plant???

Thanks! It was a lot of work to brace the unibody, cut off the top, section the struts, relocate the pivot points on the front control arms, etc, etc but that is finally behind me (you did luck out having this already done for you). I have started fitting the rear tub (it's not for the weak of heart!). Good thing I like to cut and weld.

Is your GTO a convertible or hardtop? (pics please!)

I want this car to really have the feel of a sixties roadster so I'm keeping the powerplant old school; .030 over 327, forged crank and anything aluminum I can bolt on (heads, intake, water pump, flywheel). I would really, really like a roller cam but I'm not sure it is in the budget. The tranny is a beefed up WC T-5.