HybridZ

z31 MAF swap final questions

LineC

Well hows this for my first post, I tried to make it tantilizing and without any loopholes for people to scream "use the search function"

I have read all the pro's and con's about retuning z31 ecu's and doing this swap over MS, best one I read I think is if you are considering the Z31 swap you are just 6months from going full blown standalone.

But I am wondering who is still doing this that does good work, (do not want JWT). I am mainly concerned about programing around the knock sensor and fuel temp sensor and not have the ECU run in secondary mode? I would like the maps mirrored to eliminate this from happening.

Hopefully someone on the board still does this service, I am in the process of gathering parts and have decided against MS and want to go z31 but am making sure the resources are still available and what something like this would cost to retune the z31 ecu. Current retune I would need is for 470cc injectors with t3/t4 turbo is all I can think of. I am building to be around 300hp to 350hp not looking for anything higher.

LineC

1980 280ZX

Raced my wife in her Camry---she won, time for new motor!

...best one I read I think is if you are considering the Z31 swap you are just 6months from going full blown standalone....

That's pretty funny. At one time I got all the parts to do the Z31 swap but decided to go megasquirt before I even installed it. I ended up with SDS. To answer your question, there are people programing the Z31 ECU. You can probably do it yourself if you do the research. There are some files in the downloads section for the Z31 ECU.

I meant all the plug sockets between all three ECUs are the same. Some VG ecu can be reprogrammed, some not so reprogram-friendly(IIRC, with the reprogram-friendly ECU. you can change one factor and all the map will change. With the not-so-reprogram-friendly ECU, you have to change every value in the map, IIRC) You have to ask either "Bernardd" or "GrayZee" for the specifics as I have a long way to go before my tuning begins. Can it control everything properly?---The Z31 ECU chip uses more bit than the L28 ECU chip, the control is finer. Go see the Z31 MAF/ECU swap sticky...

What does that mean exactly?

I'm assuming the vg ecu can be reprogrammed? But can it control everything properly??

yes the ecu can be reprogrammed. at the moment it is possible to program any of the vg30 ecu's (84-89) for z31's. it is more of a hassle to program the 84-85 ecu's as you cannot use an emulator with them. you'll also need to physically modify the maf to expand the resolution on the 84-86 and early 87 ecu's when you've maxed out the maf. the later ecu's can be used with any maf with a couple of small mods. not sure what you mean by controlling everything properly. you'll have to use the idle controls the ecu uses in stock form if you want the ecu to control it. i have use the throttle stop screw for 4 years with no problems. you can keep the stock cold bypass valve for warmup or remove it if you wish. i'm not using the warmup control anymore and in my case it only takes a minute when the temp is near freezing before the car idles on its own. at 70degs f it idles on it's own after a few seconds. if you choose to program your own ecu, be prepared for learning how things works. it's a very simple ecu but very effective for controlling the afr's and timing your engine wants.