HybridZ

Cooling Problems

KG78Z

I have a l28et in my 78 280z, intercooled, with an electric fan. In the upper 90 to 100 degree days we have been having it has been overheating. The fan is working correctly and they tremostat is new. I figure it must be my old radiator not being up to task. Is a stock radiator efficient enough to keep my car cool or do I need to find a radiator from a 280zx turbo, or from another type of vehicle. Whatever will work well and fit relatively easy? As usual thank you in advance for your help.

KG78Z

Here in the Dallas area my temp needle never goes past the half way point. And it has been 100 deg already. I have the stock radiator, with an intercooler, and oil cooler in front of that, Plus I run my A/C, and I never have overheated or run hot. I am not positve, but I think its the stock radiator. I did find that the car had a Webber big mouth 60mm TB, and a Centerforce clutch when I bought it in its non turbo form about 2 years ago. Its also a 78 280z

Has your cooling system been properly flushed. A very thin film of rust colored stuff will build up on the inside of the cooling system over time that creates an insulation barriers, inhibiting heat transfer. Lots of people who have installed a new water pump, new or reconditioned radiator, hoses, and fluid, but have not properly flushed the entire system, continue to have overheating issues and wonder why?

Could also be that the bloack heater (if you have one installed) is going bad. Happend to me and I just removed it and put a longer piece on hose. Damn thing would trip the circuit breaker everytime I plugged it in, and caused coolant leaks because of restriction.