HybridZ

Tetraethyl Lead -- Progressive Injection

Guest Mike

Guest Mike
Tetraethyl Lead IS the major component in leaded race gas that makes it RACE GAS!!!

Yes there is unleaded race gas on the market' date=' but I've never seen it with an octane rating much over 100. Foe example, [b']Sunoco[/b] 260 GT Plus is rated at 104 using (R+M)/2.

Leaded racing gas is typically available between 110-116 (R+M)/2.

How much octane does a given engine need? This would be the better question!

For example, if you own a 60's era muscle car with say a 12-1 compression ratio, you better run at least 100 or better.

But what if your running say a modern aluminum race head, long rod V8 with a 13.5-1 compression ratio with full ignition timing?

Anyone have an answer? (This is what I want to run in my weekend warrior).

Mark

If Tetraethyl Lead is what's in race gas, why is anyone paying $6 a galon for it? Perhaps safer handling? Adding a couple of 32 ounce bottles per 10 galon fill should raise 93 octane gas to 105 for a cost of $1.80 per galon... $4.70 per galon final cost... and no special trips to specialty fuel depots... you can keep a couple in the trunk and add by the entire quart... no measuring.

What about using this injected while under high boost or with nitrous?

Regarding how much octane I need... probably 95-97. But I may want to add some nitrous. Will I need higher octane for that or is extra fuel and/or H2O injection enough?

If Tetraethyl Lead is what's in race gas, why is anyone paying $6 a galon for it? Perhaps safer handling? Adding a couple of 32 ounce bottles per 10 galon fill should raise 93 octane gas to 105 for a cost of $1.80 per galon... $4.80 per galon final cost. You can keep a couple in the trunk and add by the entire quart... no measuring.

No, Tetraethyl Lead is the major component in LEADED race gas.

Unleaded race gas is available, but the highest octane racing gas available is the leaded variety, because Tetraethyl Lead is the most cost effective anti-knock substance that can be added to gasoline.

Mark

You COOOOUULD go to Wally world and get some 100% naphthalene mothballs.

:D

Actually, from what I read, naphthalene has a octane rating of about 90. So waaaay back in the day, the mothball trick would work on crappy 60-70 octane gas, but with modern fuels, it may actually LOWER the octane.

Guest Mike
You COOOOUULD go to Wally world and get some 100% naphthalene mothballs.

:D

Actually' date=' from what I read, naphthalene has a octane rating of about 90. So waaaay back in the day, the mothball trick would work on crappy 60-70 octane gas, but with modern fuels, it may actually LOWER the octane.[/quote']

I don't want to contribute to the declining moth population. Plus, I think moth castration is cruel:lmao:

Is your screen name from the old flick, "The Shining"?

The distributor that sells race gas says 111 is good up to 16:1 motors and that c-16, (116 octane?) is preferred by turbo and blown cars and is good for alot more, although they didn't say how much more. Here at least, they don't carry it on hand. I had to order a drum, but I did get a good price.

I'll be selling it locally for $10/gallon seeing as how the 111 goes for $9.80/gallon.

Guest Mike
The distributor that sells race gas says 111 is good up to 16:1 motors and that c-16' date=' (116 octane?) is preferred by turbo and blown cars and is good for alot more, although they didn't say how much more. Here at least, they don't carry it on hand. I had to order a drum, but I did get a good price.

I'll be selling it locally for $10/gallon seeing as how the 111 goes for $9.80/gallon.[/quote']

Since handling race fuel is safer than straight TEL, that may be the way to go. But... I really don't want to use lead at all unless I have no other choice other than having motor work done that I can't afford at the moment. Too, I don't want to spend $$$ on engine mods until I'm ready to rebuild with a definite purpose and with well-matched components. It's very likely that whatever I do to the power plant now (replace heads?) won't match the next build as well as it should. I don't want to risk blowing head gaskets with stacked gaskets either.

...this stated, I don't want to go broke just burning expensive fuel!!!

How much 116 does it take per galon to bring 93 up to 96? How much to 98?