HybridZ

good time to do GM alt conversion

Summit has 1 wire 10si 100amp black powdercoated alternators for $70. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D811001&N=400304+308560+0&autoview=sku

Ive ordered one and its on its way. Ill be doing the 1 wire conversion by grinding the alternator bracket to fit gm alternator mount. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up, stay tuned for pics of my progress.

• 3 weeks later...

Im up early to charge the battery and get the Z about 15 miles to my lady's moms house so i can work on it. Lets hope i dont have to call AAA :( I have a feeling this swap is only going to take about an hour or so. Does anyone have any recommendations on what gauge wire i should run from the alternator to the battery?

The swap was a little difficult only because it took me all night. I had to run to the parts store to get a thinner belt. When i got home, the alternator wouldnt move close enough to the block to fit the belt because the lower coolant inlet bolt was in the way. All i did was grind the stock alternator bracket down to fit the lower mounting ear on the GM alt. I ran a 4g wire from the alternator to the + terminal on the starter. The alternator is a little crooked due to my lame mounting job. Ill be working on a new bracket this week if anyone is interested. The car ran stronger than ever at 14v on the voltmeter, and there was problem running all the lights and my stereo.