HybridZ

Ms-n-s plea for help

jimbo5670

i have a 72 240z that is getting a 82 or 83 l28et and have decided to go the megasquirt route. Im tring to get it to run on the ground before I pull the old motor from the car.

My question involves the bare minimum to get spark from running the 4 pin HEI, the 82 or 83 coil and dist.

what i have tried is to hook it up according to the FAQ diagram without the step down things

i have the...

red strait to the battery (12v)

white directly to the tach wire on the 2.2 MS unit (pin 24)

green bent off to the side

black grounded to the intake manifold

on the HEI i had...

Fidle (pin 30) right to G on the HEI

W on HEI grounded

and B and C to + and - on the coil

cranked it and no spark from the coil, at all

anyone that can think of anything that im doing wrong, pleaseee help

thanks,

matt

what stepdown things are you talking about?

is yoru HEI new or did you pull one out of the junkyard? HEI units dont last long when you get them from the junkyard and are actually usually bad.

Ya I had trouble with the HEI too... I eventually gave up and went to a MSD. And i am much happier.

I hate to say it but I utterly failed with the HEI as well - I bought 2 different HEI's, brand new, wired them exactly as instructed, couldnt' get any spark. I know tons of people use the HEI, so I don't know what I was doing wrong, but it just would not work. I hooked the MSD up and had the car running in 2 minutes.

alright, before i start to get frustrated and really screw things up, anyone in the south jersey area willing to give a bit of there time to help, 100 bucks if you can get it to fire. i just cant figure out what the problem is, and i just want to get this project moving again.

thanks,

matt