HybridZ

smoothed cowl, bumpers, mod to vents --->pics

v8wannabe2

Here's a few pics of my 76. The vents in the cowl have been filled, front and rear stock bumpers modified and a screen put into the vents. The bumpers are still rough and will need more hours to be chromed, how do you think it would look powder coated semi gloss black?

p_side_front_view.jpg

rear_bumper_side_view.jpg

smoothed_rear_bumper.jpg

cowl_vents.jpg

Opinions appreciated!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a few pics of my 76. The vents in the cowl have been filled' date=' front and rear stock bumpers modified and a screen put into the vents. The bumpers are still rough and will need more hours to be chromed, how do you think it would look powder coated semi gloss black?

[/quote']

The bumpers would look good black, but I'm a person who likes flat black. Maybe they would look good painted same as the rest of the car? I'm wondering what the contrast would be with a semi-gloss. I'm wondering if it would look like the paint on the car but faded??? This car is black, right? Hard to tell... But I can say your work on the bumpers themselves look great, especially for using the stock 280Z bumpers. Nice work!

The vents are very cool looking--great job on those too. I think they'll do their 'venting' job more easily now :D

Davy

Thanks for the feedback, yes the car is black. I had the window chrome powder coated flat black, the vents are flat black......you may be right to not introduce another shade of black. I think I'll spray bomb it flat black and clean it off with reducer to help with the decision. I'll post a pic when I do.

The vents are very cool looking--great job on those too. I think they'll do their 'venting' job more easily now

I'm putting a L28 in it with a polished up 6 pak and head...topped off with an AN fuel rail, AN rad / heater hoses, and a ceramic coated header, the block will be painted red. When you look thru the vent it will show off a bit of the "eye candy"

That looks outstanding. Great job on the bumpers too. I have a question about the cowl. Do those existing factory vents in the cowl serve any purpose at all? It really cleans up the front end, but will anything be effected by nothaving those vents on the cowl. If not, did you fabricate a new piece or cut in new sheet metal where the vents used to be? I like that look, and can eleminate all the crap that collects in there.

That looks superb so far! I'd love to see a close up of those vents as well, but they look like they function a little better than the stock ones... :wink:

What are you planning for the lower front air dam? i noticed it was missing, and i always like seeing what people pick... i'm kit hunting myself.

Thanks for the feedback, The cowl area is no where's near air tight. I believe the heating system pulls in air from this area. There's a 2" drain hole that runs from the cowl to inside the front fenders along with the holes for the wipers and gaps around the whole panel so I doubt I'll have a problem with the intake air.

As for the vents, here are a couple of better pics. I had 2 sets so this was an experiment. I cut out the slats with a dremel and used some stainless steel wire mesh, it's actually from an old sterilizer tray. Traced out the shape, leaving it 3/4" big to bend a lip and epoxied it together.

How did I make the cowl?? I cut out the 3 sections where the vents are and migged in flat pieces. Expect to do some body work on it afterwards...especially if you want it black.

vent_top.jpg

vent_bottom.jpg

Unless you have A/C, I'd be worried about the VOLUME of air that you'll get without the cowl vents. That is a high pressure area feeding the HVAC system - maybe not so important for heating, but without A/C you could get a bit sweaty in the hot months, if you have any of them up there in the great white north....

• 5 weeks later...