HybridZ

Cost of chassis work.. need advice

The guy from Bob's Race Car Chassis

came by my house this weekend to look at my car. After taking some measurments and crawling around under my 78 he quoted me

2700.00 for a complete back half job and a cage. He said He wanted 1/2 down and half upon completion in 30 days.. He can start

April 15th. He also suggested putting a Fiero front clip under the front because

of the flexability and the ease of getting aftermarket parts...

This price includes the motor mounts

and tranny mounts for the LT1 and all

the work to stiffen up the chassis from front to back... He suggested a monoleaf

and a 3link type setup. with adjustable coil

over shocks.

What do you think? should I take the plunge?

Myron

Guest RON JONES

That seems like a very fair price.I'm wondering why you wouldn't want to go with a 4-link Though?Also is he going to Make it NHRA,IHRA certifiable?As far as the Fiero front end goes,I don't see the need for it,My stock front end works fine.What do you plan to do with the car?Is it going to be a pro-street style car that you would also take to the track?

[This message has been edited by RON JONES (edited March 19, 2001).]

I'm with Ron on the 4 link. Mono leafs work great on dirt and asphalt roundy round cars but I have never seen one on a drag car???

A few of the guys I work with have back halfed comp cars. I will ask arround and see who is doing there work...doesn't hurt to get a second opinion...

BTW.. do you know of a good body shop in Conroe??????

------------------

Remember it is only a piece of metal.

I think he wanted to do a monoleaf because of space constraints. I do plan on having an interior in this car and there is not much ground clearance. He was taling about cutting from the seat mount back and basically starting from scratch.

What are the pros/cons of the monoleaf 3link

and a standard 4 link setup? I dont plan on taking the car to the stip except for the first few times to get it dialed in.

Ray, Tommys paint and body does alot of the higher end cars in Conroe..

Myron, not trying to step on any toes here. But if you don't plan on hitting the strip at all, do you need to go through all the cost of adding a 4 link? If its purely a street car, I'd really consider running an IRS. If you are worried about the R200/CV joints's durability, then maybe it would be worth your while to look into the R230 vicous LSD.

I just don't quite get why you'd change it to a 4 link... Maybe I am missing something.

------------------

Richard Lewis

drax2.gif

I may have worded that wrong. The car will have a single leaf on each side of the car like conventional leaf springs. These two

leafs act like the first 2 links in a 3 link setup. The last link is just above and to the left of the pumpkin and it angles down and across the front of the differential

making the 3rd link in the system.

Ron, Yes the cage will be certifiable.

I am thinking in order to make this work

he would have to have some rather long shackles hanging out the back of the car and I really do not want that..

Myron

I think the 2 main reasons for me to

go with a solid axle of some sort is

Strength and Flexibility.. There are just way more parts out there for a solid axle and aftermarket brakes. not to mention the wheel selection for a 5 lug GM bolt pattern.

Buying the high-po parts for the Datsun

would cost me an arm and a leg..

Have you ever been in a 475hp Zcar under WOT and shifting at 6500 when those Ujoits let go? YEEEOUCH, It scared the piss out of me! If it would have happened on the passenger side it would have destroyed the fuel pump and started a big fire...

Besides if I ever want to put in a glide and a trans brake in it I wont worry as much about breaking things...

Guest RON JONES

Myron,if your going for a back half w/cage.I'm thinking 4-link.I don't think you want to be putting a single leaf on each side of the car.Can you get another shop to take a look?I'd have to say the $2700 sounds like a great price,but I not sure you want to go with that set up.I'm sure a 4-link can be done with starting the back half from just behind the seats,of course you would half to tie it to the front with some sub frames.I'd give it some serous thought before you go this way with it.

Yeah, I am still kicking it around. I just watched all the videos of Darious's car.

That thing is incredible!... I think he is using the R230 and cv axles... Ther is a video of him outrunning an R1 superbike!.

We are making a rotisserre this weekend

for my brothers Sunbeam Alpine and for my car as to.. After I get it upside down

and the tank out of it I may change my mind

and go with the R230..

I have been trying to get him to stuff a big motor in it. I think he has decided to go with a mazda 1.8 turbo. He has 2 of them and

he is talking about hacking the other one up!..

I have seen one with a 427 walk away with

a road corse event.. He was leaving ALL

the other cars like they were sitting still.

Myron

Guest Anonymous

And they say V8Z's are overkill! That thing must just fly. Where did you get the video of Darius and the Superbike. I haven't seen that one.

yes, the thought of ujoints and driveshafts

breaking at speed scares the stuffings out of me. 2700 sounds really good for that kind of work, but i like the r230 idea, alot alot

anyone know what gears they came with? darius is off the hook, he really hangs tough with that r1....

Guest needwaymorespeed
Originally posted by FAIRLADY 327:

i like the r230 idea, alot alot

anyone know what gears they came with?

------------------------------------------

r230s have 3.54 if out of a infiniti Q-45

or 3.68 if out of a twin turbo 300 z-90-96

those are the only cars that I know of that have a r230 the na 300 z are r200

--------------------

Im currently working on some custom rear knuckles to allow the use of the r230 complete with cv shafts and hubs,would only have to cut and respline the stock cv shafts.

Check out drivetrain forum under r230 in 240z

later

Curtis