HybridZ

Quick help, where to lift?

christoc

I did a search but was unable to find any info, I'm in the garage now, so any help would be appreciated :D

I'm working on pulling the motor/tranny out of my 73.

The motor didn't have any place to hook up the chains like my 83 motor and 78 have, so I started to pull the attachments off the 83 to hook up the 73. Works fine for the front, but doesn't for the rear. Anyone have any input on where to attach the other chain for the rear of the motor???

The rear attachment from the 83 needs a bolt to fit over, and the 73 doesn't have that bolt.

Appreciate the help, pics later today.

The two best places to lift is the bolt the holds the exhaust manifold on in the rear and the bolt near the water outlet or power steering pump. As long as its alteast a 12mm bolt and you can get good thread depth with it it should be able to hold. Good luck.

Thanks, the exhaust manifold on the rear of both the 78 and 83 have abolt to fit the bracket, the 73 doesn, though I'll see if I can't get a bolt that will go in there and old the bracket as well.

Appreciate the help. Got the driveshaft out of the way, not to get the chains on and start unbolting the tranny mounts.

WHOA...use the rearmost INTAKE manifold bolt to lift from the rear, as it's ALOT thicker and sturdier than the exhaust manifold bolt. If you can, use one of the top transmission mounting bolts instead, as it's ALOT safer that way.

BTW, no bracket is necessary if you pass the bolt through the end link of the chain you're using, just make sure to use a cushion of plywood or thick towels between the manifolds or valve cover to avoid destroying either. If the bolt won't fit through the end link of the chain, you're not using a large enough chain to begin with.

Doh yeah warren's right. I've used the exhaust manifold before and never had troubles but you are "suppose" to use the last intake manifold bolt. Much stronger:flamedevi It looks like the last exhaust manifold bolt got broken off in there. You will need to drill and retap the hole in order to not have any leaks if you take off the intake and exhaust manifold.

This motor isn't going back in the car. I have an 83l28et to put in eventually but I still have to pull the motor/transmission from the 78 to get the 5 speed to put on the 83 :D

lots of work. I'm going to go buy a new chain later today, the one I have has huge hooks on it, will get a new one and try either the tranny or intake bolt tomorrow.

Thanks for the help guys.

Chris

Ah, darn, I thought this was about jacking the car up. Well, I guess this is as good as any place to ask; Where is the best place to put jack stands on a 1978 280z? First time I put them where previous idiots had put them on the bottom of the side trim, effectively smashing the hell out of it, so it wasn't a big deal to put it there for a minute as it was already smashed. But in the future, i'd much rather put jack stands in the proper place, if there is any. I did a search on this too, but couldn't find anything.