HybridZ

Mmm... scotch

pete280z

Glenmorangie is my usual stuff. A bottle usually lasts me 9 months to a year so I spend a little more. This particular glass is from a bottle of Macallan I got for my 30th. Not bad at all. :-D

Johnny Walker held a tasting here a few months ago. It seemed like it took forever for the blue to come out, but it was worth the wait. Smooth.

The closest thing I drink to Scotch is cognac. I can't afford some serious 100 year old Scotch wiskey, so I'll stick to my old standby. My friend whipped some 100 year old Scotch out one evening and I was blown away by how utterly smooth it was. I asked him< "How much does it cost?" and he coughed some up out of his nose. After coughing, he told me what he paid. Then I started coughing. Salud.

Davy

What did you use to get the pins out? I soaked mine then beat them with a brass hammer until they started mushrooming, then gave up and took them on over to the only shop in town that had a press large enough to do the job. The shop people were a little surprised about how tight they were.

Strange thing is, the new ones went in real easy.

Liquid wrench, propane torch, a 4 lb hammer and three different lengths of 1/2" bolts as drifts.

The left came our fairly easily. Just got hung on the bushing. Out came the torch for about 20 minutes and that was done. At one point I did hammer the pin back and grind down the mushroomed section, thinking that it might start to be a problem.

The right was more challenging. I actually started there, but the pin would only budge about 1/2". Soaked it in liquid wrench and moved to the other side.

My theory was that the spindle pin was deformed by the locking pin, making it difficult to slide out. So I heated the strut on the side that the deformed section of pin would be sliding through. Then another liberal dose of liquid wrench and hammer, hammer, hammer.

I'm guessing that it took a total of about 100-150 hammer blows to remove each pin. And that last one shot it out about 8 feet.

Kroyle, 12 ton press, acetylene torch, and a sledge hammer, and 4 days later, 7 pins were removed. Most of them didn't want to come out even with all that persuasion. One of them took a nice chunk of housing along with it.

I'm never doing that again, not even for a whole bottle of scotch.

I'm saving the last 1/3 bottle of JW Blue for after I get mine out, one drink, then the rest for when the car is finished - okay - actually fully functioning and painted. (75 ground up, subchassis connectors, floorpans, rear quarter and front fenders. I just bought the last Arizona Z Car Gnose, and will be reinforcing it after I have it bolted up.

It's a bottle that was sent to me by a customer that I did some custom programming for in addition to my fee.

I made the mistake of inviting my father and brother-in-law over and had to rescue the remainder! I'd only had one...honest! (I keep it hidden now)