HybridZ

Got one!

twoeightythreez

Hey guys,

I just ordered a MS-II, with a 4-bar MAP and the GM IAT sensor.

I also ordered the pigtail harness so I can hook into my stock N/A wiring harness on my '78.

I am planning on going turbo, and I have the engine, the manifolds, the turbo, and the downpipe.(though if anyone has an S30 3" downpipe complete with external wastegate I would be happy to buy it from them...as I already have a 3" exhaust!)

I don't see a problem with the assembly of the MS (I have already assembled computer power supplies) and with the wiring (I rewired my '68 510, with an '80 200sx harness) but software confuses the crap out of me.

What do I need to program/ run the megasquirt? I've seen a few posts where a PDA is used. I have neither a laptop nor a PDA so which is the best option for me? Does the MS come with the software or do you need to d/l it all?

Thank you for all your time, HybridZ rules! Sorry if some of these questions can be answered by a search, I'm still looking and haven't found specifics yet.

Well, I have spent most of a day looking at searches and printing, organizing manuals and such...and most of my questions are answered. I am in awe as to how much MSII can do! (Though no boost controller, but I plan on going simple for that one, I need to take another look at the rebuilt stock turbo that is still at the other guy's house....he says there is no wastegate, so I possibly might be interested in buying a stock wastegate.) Anyone have one laying around?

So, here i am, just anxiously awaiting my MSII to come in the mail,

btw, anyone have a i/c & bov laying around for an S30?

I'm interested.

I found an IMB 600 laptop on craigslist.com for $100 + a car adpater for $15. You can find them on ebay too but they seem to go for more there. If you have the 4 bar map I would think you want to run some boost. I would think about going a little larger than stock on the turbo if you still need to get one.

Thank you for the info! Will def. check into that laptop. Though I have posted an air compressor I won't be using, brand new, pep boys 25gal. 110v compressor. I never took it out of the box when I moved to my apt. I can't use it here and after this I'm moving back to Pennsylvania (Lehigh valley native, specifically allentown)

I have posted it to trade for a laptop that works, and has the stuff I need to use MS (like the operating system, power cord, power adapter, and possibly an internet access card of some sort)

Or for an intercooler.

I do (eventually) plan on running some boost. Funds are tight right now, especially after buying the megasquirt. Since the engine I came across had no ECU or wiring, or AFM, I figured I might as well buy the megasquirt, since I would probalby spend close to what I paid for the MS kit and sensors by the time I got everything I needed.

I will upgrade the turbo sometime in the future, don't want to upgrade the box at the same time. THe 4-bar also comes with a separate barometric pressure sensor to allow the MSII to make altitude corrections.

For now, I'll run the stock turbo that is coming with the motor, since it's rebuilt.(and most importantly, it's already there :) )

I have to take a closer look at the pieces I got, as they are still at the person's house who bartered them to me. (I traded a 510 wagon, rotted and with a nissan 720 rear, but ran/drove for the stuff)

I might need a stock wastegate assembly. I'll post more when I have updates.

But here's what I have so far

1983 L28ET with (apparently) a rebuilt P90

Various intake manifolds (early to late) which should I use?

stock exhaust manifold with rebuilt T3 turbo

stock downpipe (anyone selling an upgraded pipe, as I have 3" exhaust...again I want to install stuff with upgrades in mind, so yes, I have a 78 Z with a stock internal L28E and a 3" exhaust!)

MSII coming in the mail

Speedhut boost gauge (matches the speedhut gauge faces that I was part of a prototype group.....check it out! (speedhut.com) EL gauge faces, your choice of colors, fonts, and illumination types, starting at about 70 bucks, as they have the tooling done now...I paid 129.95 for mine, but glad to pass the savings to anyone interested) On the speedhut thing, you actually "design" your gauge faces. Later, when they are about to manufacture them, they call you and verify. Great customer service. They are based in the midwest.

SPeedhut disclaimer: THe faces actually are made for 240 and 260z's you have to (carefully) modify the volts face to allow the alt. light to poke through...but the 280z gauges will be volts and the 240/260 will be amps.

EL is great for that, as as long as you're careful with the Xacto you can't tell it was cut. (as in the face will still work)

Custom fuel rail (for supra injectors)

60mm throttle body (I also have one on my Z already, I'll jsut choose the better one)

The stuff will go into my Z which is equipped with:

81 Zx N/A 5-speed (I know, I know, I will be going Z32 trans when I can)

Fidanza flywheel and C/F stage II clutch

rebuilt stock radiator

stock A/C (why not keep it, it works)

4.11 200sx (S12) non-lsd R200 diff

Stock halfshafts (when will these break? I hope not before the trans)

full sound deadening treatment, full interior, full bumpers, etc. Probably weighs 2900lb (lots of sound deadening and foam)

stock N/A fuel pump

Narrow band 1-wire O2 sensor w/ speedhut AFR gauge (analog readout!)

16x7 OZ wheels with custom "Z" centercaps, 225/50R16 tires

Suspension, brakes still stock :(

Here's what I still need:

3" downpipe (I have stock one but since I already have 3" exhaust...)

Stock (with bigger spring, etc.) or external wastegate (if external I need adaptor too) *I might be wrong here, but Sal says there is no wastegate so I probably need one*

Intercooler and piping

Blow off valve

Aformentioned supra injectors (440cc?)

Like I said before I'll start out with stock turbo. I have read about people getting nearly 280whp/400lb-ft on the stock turbo@20psi when running MS so I think it'll do until I get a better tranny.

In fact I'll probably keep boost under 15psi until I get a better tranny. This one is rebuilt and it still gets peed off when I hit 2nd hard...e.g. when I actually get it into second faster than grandma because I have worn out the syncros (I do admit...I drive her REALLY hard) She groans for a second when taking the power from my stock L28E (with a header, exhaust, and tweaked AFM, otherwise stock) that admittedly is doing alright (9.8@66.5 in the eighth, 15.2 @90 in the quarter)

Actually ,I haven't done 1/4 since swapping in the 4.11, the 15.2 time was logged with the 3.54's and the 16" tires! I'm duly impressed with that junkyard dog motor. (I bought the car from the junkyard almost 4yrs ago and never even did a valve adjustment since...though it needs one...my point is I've NEVER OPENED THE MOTOR AT ALL...so it's doing alright.

Thank you for answering! This forum rocks!

MSII arrived yesterday! Also got a line on a BOV and an intercooler is on the way! I also checked out the turbo and it's a stock T-3 with internal wastegate, rebuilt. I guess I'll find out how well they work.

The N/A motor I'm trading for an electric boost controller. (Motor runs but definitely needs a rebuild)

It's all coming together! Will be turbo soon!

I'm gonna run the stock turbo injectors for a little while, make sure the motor is straight. (Will keep it around stock boost)

Thank you all for all your help!

Now just have to put the MS together....

(got the laptop)