HybridZ

Go from 9.0 afr to 20.0 in three days!

badjuju

Hey guys, this is a direct subpost from one of mine in the L6 forum... Here's a link.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=112744

Basically, my fourth injector shorted out on the ground side, turning it on for 30 seconds to 5 minutes each time the wire got near the ground. This was causing my afr to go down to 9.0:1 or so (LC-1). I fixed the ground as soon as I saw it, and the 9:1 crap stopped.

Three days later, my afr is up at 20:1. I can't accelerate. Basically I'm having the same acceleration issues I was having before, except now it's reading 20 instead of 9.

I'm wondering, uhh, what do I do? The resistance on all of them reads 2.7-2.8 ohms, and i'm wondering what my course of action should be... Is there a chance that it's still a bad injector though the resistance is reading right? my fuel rpessure is reading about 20 psi when the car is running.

Fuel pressure at idle should be around 30psi. Under no vacuum 37psi. First I would put a screwdrive up to every injector and make sure they are all firing. If they aren't then I would check your wiring. Find the injector that isn't working and switch the injector cap with another injector cap that is working. If that injector starts working then its the wiring if it still doesn't work then its the injector. Then you should with the car in the on position get 12 volts at every injector. If you are getting that then you need to trace the other wire all the way back to the ecu and make sure it hasn't been cut or grounded out.

It could also be a clogged fuel filter, bad fuel pump, or fuel pressure regulator since you are saying you only have 20psi. So check those also.

I've got a new fuel filter and fuel pump in the car right now... ready to be installed, because i thought that the origional problem was being caused by the pump. Those won't be hard to do. The fpr is an easy one if i can find a z at the yard with a fuel rail on it (unlikely :( )

However, i'm confused by your reply, what do you mean by "put a screwdrive up to every injector and make sure they are all firing"

Put a long screwdriver to the injector and the handle to your ear and see if it is clicking. If it is the injector is hopefully working. (You can do this with would, a mechanical stethascope, or pretty much any solid object).

With the injector fully on from the grounded part you might have burnt up the solenoid, causing it to not work anymore.

Mario

Touch the tip of the screwdriver to the injector body in a place that will not contact any wiring and place your ear on the handle. Do this while the car is running. When the injector opens it makes a clicking sound you can hear through the screwdriver. Listen to each injector, if one or more isn't clicking then the injector or the wiring to it is faulty. Use the method described by Thumper to determine if it's the wiring or the injector thats bad.

If using a screwdriver makes you nervous a wooden or plastic rod works also.

Wheelman

• 3 weeks later...