HybridZ

BODY FLEX, IM NEW!!!!!!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am planning my 1st big car transplant, and i need to know what i need to do to strengthen the 240 for a stock or very mild 350, i dont have tons of money and i dont want to do anyting huge, ANY help is appreciated , kyle

Heh, an echo smile.gif

First, get the JTR book - that's step #1! As for bodyflex, so long as you're not crazy with th ecar it ought to survive fine for awhile. I would put some sort of subframe in there eventually as it will slowly weaken and become worse, especially if there's rust, but for a little while it should be okay.

I had a V8 Vega with a 4.56 rear in it and NO subframe connectors. It's floorpan was much like the Z's. Putting in just connectors was supposed to be a royal PITA - I was young too. I discovered something VERY interesting one day when a friend drove it and I sat in the passenger side. With the wondow rolled down and my hand hanging on I could actually feel the body twist the wondow frame away from the body of the car! If I wasn't careful it would actually pinch my hand. I'd expect the Z to be much the same if you really hammer on it. It might not start out as much but over time it will get worse as things loosen up. At some point you will have to do something about this problem one way or another.

Cage and fuel cell for my car cost less than a grand and could save my life in an accident. Look at the door beams sometime - not much there! budget this but it might not have to be the first thing you do - or it could be the first thing you do while you drive it and save up for a drivetrain.... That might actually be the best way to go as even if you don't wind up doing the swap the stiffer frame will help you out in the long run.

If i was on a tight budget (And I've been there) I'd get strut tower braces, and I would have sub-frame connectors welded in. A competent shop can fabricate them and install them for about $300, and I've paid as little as $175 for a set installed... Sub-connectors will tighten that car up tremendously.

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk