HybridZ

PLease help me decide!!! please

Guest znow white

Guest znow white

Ok so I finished my turbo swap wired it how it should be for l28et eccs 82zxt computer harness. SO basically it runs like crap it always did even when it was in the donor car. tried everything with it dont want to bother no more

I won an auction for z31/maf/harness off ebay Now im re considering this next to msns.

what do you guys think is easier ? more reliable?

my neighbour is an microprocessor wizard he works with a computer company and he would help with the msns install (thought I see some people with amature electrical skill wiring up msns)

. I just have some questions

where should I get ms or msns ? --> whats better running ms 1 with the extra code for spark or ms 2 especially for my application (looking to up the boost in future) should I get a pre assemble unit or assemble myself? how much money should I be looking to spend for ms/sensors/harness I am not too rich only a student. I have read moby's sticky many times but I still get decide what to do can you guys please shed some light for me.

I think the z31 ecu swap is easier, but I have never done it.

I say run MSI with extra code if you decide to use megasquirt. MSII will control huge injectors better (high resolution). If you plan to run 1000cc injectors or bigger go with MSII.

If you do have a friend that can help, I see no reason NOT to do the MS swap.

The only reason to go with MS I at this point is if you HAVE to go wasted spark/COP for ignition, which is more $.

MS II will work with the stock ignition and in a short time will be able to support WS.

We are talking a bare bones comparison here. MS will let you tune to your hearts desire and change things around (like boost and injectors) and timing, which the MAS 300ZX system will NOT let you do unless you pay someone to do it and have to wait and wait to get it done.

If you go PAST bare bones, MS has a heck of a lot more potential.

Read the "1 hr MS install" thread.

Easy decision for me.....

should I get a pre assemble unit or assemble myself?

If you build it yourself you should get a megastim to test with. If you buy preassemled/tested. You won't need the extra cost of it. It will still cost more to buy assembled but not much and is easier. In your sig you say 550's. Based on that alone I would go with one of the MS's over the Z31 ecu.

hey clifton, do you have any experience with MS or know anyone else in az, specifically phoenix/tempe/mesa/scotts area with MS experience. it just be nice to talk to someone local who's done something similar when i get around to wiring up my MSI

Boy, I feel great - Clifton and I are sympatico on what you should do!

Clifton - I'm gonna MS my '83ZXT, and will be going w/MSII like you!

znow: Clifton knows a lot and verifies all the research I've been doing the past 1.5 years, so I feel very confident in my choice.

I will say that I intend to have it built for me, but I want to build the stim just so I can check it if I do something bone-headed when I'm wiring it or in cased I ever run into a problem in the future - the soldering practice and reading the schematics will be a much needed refresher for me as the last kits I built were as a scout over 30 years ago.

If I can handle the stim, I'll probably want to build the next MS unit for my '75 v8 project.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest znow white

Thanks for all the replies! I think I will sell the z31 stuff and go with the ms1 since there are more software and info on it with the extra spark..I can re use my 280zx coil/dist (cas inside)?

I am going with also a new pigtail harness kit the labeled ones.

How much amperage and thickness of gauge of fusible link wire do I need to power the ms unit.

quick questions

How many sensors do I require? I will resuse the tps, oxygen sensor, coolant temp sensor, head sensor.

What is said about running megasquirt differently than the stock turbo eccs? ie stuff like Air regulator VCM< EGR how does it run with out them?

I know msns could make a lawnmowyer run But I need to know the basics of having idle/running WOT through out the band. I dont need to do emission here my car is exempt......so ya the minimal. Sorry for all the lame questions I read the write up I am just calculating cost and a list to order everything ASAP I dont want start something with out having all the parts.

Thanks

Hussein

How much amperage and thickness of gauge of fusible link wire do I need to power the ms unit.

quick questions

How many sensors do I require? I will resuse the tps' date=' oxygen sensor, coolant temp sensor, head sensor.

What is said about running megasquirt differently than the stock turbo eccs? ie stuff like Air regulator VCM< EGR how does it run with out them?

[/quote']

You have some reading to do.

This should cover the fuse http://www.rs-autosport.net/catalog/docs/RSA_v3-wiring_dist.gif

This should cover everything else.http://www.megasquirt.info/