HybridZ

help!! parking brake problem

my parking brake in my 83 280zx 5spd is messed up. the cable it self is completely stuck on and i cant get the cable off of the caliper. ive called brake places with no luck. do i cut the cable and try to find a new one? and where would i find one?

its hard to park a 5spd with out a parking brake.

:-) Before cutting the cable. Jack-up the car and put jack stands under it. Then crawl under it and see what is wrong. All you may have to do is lossen the two nuts used in the adjustment of it. Maybe needing new pads or such. First check it out (all of it) and see what is causing it to bind? Then make up your plan to fix it and go with your plan. If your not mech inclined. Take it to someone, who is.

Later ZX (some say all ZX) calipers are notorious for the ebrake freezing. There is a good possibility that the problem is with the caliper. Cutting the cable just means that you now have to replace the caliper AND the cable.

Park it in reverse and turn your wheels into the curb if you're on a hill. Carry chocks if you're going to park on a steep hill.