HybridZ

Check out the goodies

AKWIKZ

Another member, fraz, had this comment about the pistons an suggestion for a turbo. He has been building RB30's for some time now as well:

I would say they (pistons) would be suitable, but you realise that 9:1 comp and 1.5bar would give you somewhere around 600hp!!

With those pistons and a gt35r turbo you would have some serious torque, like real serious! I would go a gt3540 as the high comp would get you started before the turbo kicked in, which is still nice and low even with a gt3540. you could get a gt3540r if you wanted better spool up with a real serious top end.

A rb30det with 8.2-8.3:1 comp and 1 bar boost is pretty impressive, less angry feeling than a gtr, but on the highway the rb30 would eat it. With 9:1 it would start to get angry, but you could still comfortably run it on 91-93 octane and 1bar.

I need to keep the stock R33 RB26 top end setup to get by the California smog referee. My Fairlady Z still falls under the gray import market so I have some leeway with the referees.

A rb30det with 8.2-8.3:1 comp and 1 bar boost is pretty impressive, less angry feeling than a gtr, but on the highway the rb30 would eat it. With 9:1 it would start to get angry, but you could still comfortably run it on 91-93 octane and 1bar.

so... a 9.1 RB30DET with a RB26 head and forged internals, making about 600hp is not even as angry as an RB26 with stock internals making even around 500 ish?! cause i know for a fact that they can handle that for quite while before it's time to dish out some major funding to get that thing all fabbed up to continue the fun.

this doesn't seem to make much sense anymore, if with "like serious torque" it still isn't as angry as an RB26. =/

anyone see where im goin?

oh and thanks for clarifying the GT35R thing. some 7mgte fan told me it might die on a 3 litre, but im sure there are some variables/specs that you can play around with on a GT35R that would yield the same performance as noted by fraz (while not quite technical, i get the idea from his post obviously)