HybridZ

Check out the goodies

AKWIKZ

The last of the parts arrived today and I wanted to share. These are the parts for the RB30 build. Custom Wiseco 9:1 forged pistons, forged rods, and ACL race bearings.

photo_006.jpg

photo_007.jpg

photo_009.jpg

That's not rust on the rods, they are packed in bags and covered in grease for shipping.

Brian

Right around $1800 for everything you see. Add $1200 for the block and about $500 in machine work and you have a built 3.1 liter full forged RB bottom end for $3500. Not exactly cheap, but still pretty affordable for the power you get.

Brian

Plenty of talk but no one actually put any money down. So I still have 2 to sell. They will be going on e-bay next month. I need to focus on moving into the new house for the next couple of weeks. We have our final walk through tomorrow and then we close on Wednesday of next week. The blocks are sitting at a friends house in L.A. I'll bring them back after everything settles down.

Brian

You are absolutely right. I have now realized that I have a problem. It appears to be a terminal case "well, while I'm at it......" that always snowballs into something like this. I have made peace with it and am doing my best to live with the disease. I try to take it one day at a time while constantly holding out hope that a cure will be found..........one day.

Brian

You are absolutely right. I have now realized that I have a problem. It appears to be a terminal case "well' date=' while I'm at it......" that always snowballs into something like this. I have made peace with it and am doing my best to live with the disease. I try to take it one day at a time while constantly holding out hope that a cure will be found..........one day.

Brian[/quote']

marry me?

your shortcomings are just another pebble on the sidewalk of life, to me, sweetheart. :lmao:

With this set up' date=' I was expecting good off-boost throttle response with the 9:1 C/R and shooting for about 600hp or so at 16 pounds of boost on a pair of HKS 2530 turbos.

Brian[/quote']

yah i was always wondering why people would settle for like a 8.41:1 compression ratio with the RB30, seeing as it has immense torque delivery down low, compared to the RB26.

it's in v8 territory, almost.

and while i don't mind the idea of 8 or 8.5 for fuel quality/price purposes, i feel that a 9 or a 9.5 to 1 like some SR20's on some high boost applications could be a lot more fun when the compressors are still trying to catch their breathe.

good show! let us know how it go! :mrgreen:

According to Wiseco, no mods were needed to either an RB25 or RB26 head. While I have not compared stock RB30 pistons to these yet, I have little reason to question what Wiseco says. I will definately ask the machine shop to look at this when I take everything in though. With this being a custom "HYBRID" (hahaha) build, I'm always open to suggestions.

Brian

Sydney Kid, a Skylines Down Under member has provided very helpful information to me about the RB30 builds. He has experience with these more than any I have seen so far. So I trust his advice. This is what he has to say about the build I am doing.

you really need to have the block the pistons and the head all together and measure them. It is no big deal to machine up to 1 mm off the cylinder head and 1.5 mm off the block. You can run the piston out of the bore by 0.25 mm. There are head gaskets from 0.8 mm to 1.8 mm. So there is no problem juggling those 4 parameters to achieve the compression ratio you want.

As long as the pistons you are getting are pretty much flat top (with fly cuts) you will be able to achieve anything from 7.9 to 9.3 to 1.

Sydney Kid' date=' a Skylines Down Under member has provided very helpful information to me about the RB30 builds. He has experience with these more than any I have seen so far. So I trust his advice. This is what he has to say about the build I am doing.

you really need to have the block the pistons and the head all together and measure them. It is no big deal to machine up to 1 mm off the cylinder head and 1.5 mm off the block. You can run the piston out of the bore by 0.25 mm. There are head gaskets from 0.8 mm to 1.8 mm. So there is no problem juggling those 4 parameters to achieve the compression ratio you want.

As long as the pistons you are getting are pretty much flat top (with fly cuts) you will be able to achieve anything from 7.9 to 9.3 to 1.[/quote']

sweet. 9.3 sounds nice =)

halfway and a bit between 9.0 and 9.5

With this set up' date=' I was expecting good off-boost throttle response with the 9:1 C/R and shooting for about 600hp or so at 16 pounds of boost on a pair of HKS 2530 turbos.

Brian[/quote']

u sure twin 2530's would be ideal?

i think they'd need a lot of boost to see some big numbers, as the case with stock RB26's.

they perform pretty much like regular GTR turbo's until you start hitting the higher 15 or 16psi range.. which is right up your alley, but do you want to blast them at that pressure all the time!??

how much are they usually good for?! 23 ish? if its around there... they seem fit for this app.