HybridZ

i dont know too much about rims and backspacing and such but i have a 1979 280zx that i want to put rims on. the ones i were looking at are: 15382209_o.jpg These are the different sizes they come in:

Style :

ADR BATTLE EXE

Size : 15x6.5, 17x7,1 8x7.5,19x8.5

Color : Black w/ Polished lip, Gun Metal w/ Polished lip, Silver w/ Polished lip

PCD : 10H 5x100 / 5x114.3, 8H 4x100 / 4x114.3

Offset : +35, +40 , +48

Whats the size i should get? does it even fit on my car? i know the z is a 4x114.3 but i dont know about offset. any help would be great. thanks!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know too much about rims and backspacing and such but i have a 1979 280zx that i want to put rims on. the ones i were looking at are: 15382209_o.jpg

These are the different sizes they come in:

Style :

ADR BATTLE EXE

Size : 15x6.5, 17x7, 18x7.5,19x8.5

Color : Black w/ Polished lip, Gun Metal w/ Polished lip, Silver w/ Polished lip

PCD : 10H 5x100 / 5x114.3, 8H 4x100 / 4x114.3

Offset : +35, +40 , +48

Whats the size i should get? im leaning at the 17x7 does it even fit on my car? i know the z is a 4x114.3 but i dont know about offset. any help would be great. thanks!

okay i thought i would need those. is there anywhere else to order them besides modern motorsports? (im a student with a tiny budget) so basicly the z needs a 4x114.3 with a 0 offset? i can fit the 17x7s on with no problem right?

Unless you get them used, that isn't going to happen...I had mine made locally at a custom wheel shop, and they were around $200. I was pretty p.o'd because even though the guy said they would be "custom built for my car" they used Honda 12X1.5 thread pitch studs instead of Nissan 12X1.25 studs, and I spent $60 on a set of 12X1.25 tuner shank lug nuts (these wheels required these) and when I got the spacers, they said they could only used these particular studs and that I would need to redrill my wheel to accept the lug nuts they carried. The reason for this is becuase their lazy machine shop guy only wants to stock one part number of stud, not because there is anything magical about that particular part number, so I had to go find some other lug nuts and modify them to work. All said and done, I spent $120 in lug nuts alone...

I'm thinking you might need to settle for a different wheel. That link doesn't work, could you repost it?

*edit* never mind, i just found them with a google image search. You can find some cooler wheels than that, I'm sure..

for instance:These 15X6.5 Impuls $400 +15mm offset

aaa.jpg

or these Volk Racing C ultras 16X7 +19mm offset: $500 for the set:

aaa.jpg

Both of these came from www.rbmotoring.com, I'm pretty sure you can get +15 or +19 offset to work, if not, it's a heck of a lot easier to get a spacer for $10 per wheel than to get hub adapters...

there is NO WAY those scion wheels have -3 offset...somebody must have lied to that guy...

jBKy04zXfVidjhMCPH8uHDkf2oJh.jpg

WsPSva2DEpT4OueB6V4hUfHhPmCq.jpg

plus, look at all that curb damage!

Offset refers to the distance from the centerline of the wheel the mounting flange sits in mm. +is towards the face of the wheel, - is towards the back. Usually FWD cars have high + offset. Backspacing and offset are not the same thing. Backspacing is going to be the distance from that point to the back of the wheel. I'd say if the wheels don't look AT LEAST as deep as the ones I posted previously, they probably won't fit without adapters. Just checking offsets probably isnt good enough, since a wheel with too much backspacing with a zero offset would still rub, so it's important to check that too. For instance, a hypothetical wheel that is 13" wide with 0 offset would still have 6.5 inches of backspacing, which probably wouldn't fit. I've heard 4.5" being kicked around as the ideal maximum backspacing, but I haven't done any measurements to check it. If you want to find some used wheels, look for stuff that fits older RWD nissans(510, s130, z31, s12) or toyotas like the celica, carolla, and celica supra. I know for a fact the celica supra used a LOWER offset than the z (meaning the wheels would stick out further from the fender), because my friend tried to use one of my western turbine 14" wheels (fit the z with no spacer) on his 83 and it wouldn't even go on without hitting the strut.

offset.gif

quote from cragslist ad:But these can all be re-dipped to repair the rash, much cheaper than buying them new. Please email me with any questions

I think you should email this guy and ask him what planet he lives on that can re-dip these wheels in polished aluminum...that would have to be machined out, and you'd have to heat and bend that "dent" as he puts it back into place. These wheels would be a balancing PROBLEM to say the least for whoever is gullible enough to buy them. Those have to be close to +40 offset too, not -3 like he claims...

Hey Ben...have any pics of your 79 up???

Thats the same model year i have and i have'nt run into very many 79s... ton of 82s but the first year seems to be hard to find in good condition. pics of mine are in the link below.

haha yeah i posted that cuz i was curious if -3? man this rim stuff is killing me lol. so basicly im looking for 17x7 with 4.5 backspacing and a 0 offset. i might just hafta buy the adapters lol. my z is in my signature. its hard im looking for some nice 5 spoke 17's but i think im being forced to get those adapters now. hmm ill keep looking i guess lol. if you guys spot anything pretty cool let me know. im looking for the big rim low profile tire look but i want it to fit of course prefferably without the adapters. but yeah. thanks so much for the help!