HybridZ

WWZD - What Would Zee Do

Careless

Ok, so theres this make-belief god of mine, whom I like to call Zee.

I was once an Atheist, but I have now seen the light.

except for one thing. I am stuck between the fundamentals of both the Old Testament of "RB30 Build-up", verse 9:1, circa 6000+ CDN dollars AND New Testament, "RB26 N1 Long Block", circa 5500 Canadian dollars.

Ok, all joking aside. Im not sure what would be a better route. I just want an engine to tear into, and I'm not sure if building an RB30 with a GT35R and a 9.x:1 compression ratio would yield the same horsepower, or performance level of an N1 longblock (which i would still have to buy everything for, anyways)

This is just for future planning, guys and gals.

I haven't tallied how much money I will have to play with, but most likely I will be building the engine before I even get the car. I just wanted everyone's thoughts on the matter.

RB30 WOULD DEFINATELY have the RB26 head, but that's another matter in itself... finding one. =/

how much do the RB26 heads cost, and weigh?! I have a friend going to visit the phillipines who can probably tote one back, since he's packing lightly. I told him it's crazy talk to lug around an engine head in his back pocket, but he seems to be quite enthusiastic about helping me with the project... =)

For the manifolds on either side, I would probably attempt at custom made ones for the first time around. 225 amps of MIG to play with, and a huge 60 gallon tank of air to play with for fabricating and cutting and drilling and bolting.

lets leave the electronics out of this one for now. that's like a whole other investment that could work with either engine anyways.

sooooooooooooo.... lets talk about it :mrgreen:

oh, and about why i wanna build the engine before the car.

well. i just want something to tinker with, and im not sure if i can find a Z that suits my standards (although a lot of work will go into it, ofcourse) in Canada, because we like to put salt on everything from our food to our roads.

so Im thinking if there ever comes a time where the engine will have to be sold, the experience can never be taken away, but a complete engine and it's spare parts can always be sold for more than a half built chassis.

=)

Either one is going to be more motor than you need or will really use on a street car in all honesty. 400-500 hp is fairly common on the RB26 with basic bolt ons. The RB30 will yield that much on minimal boost as well. Now, I'm not sure where you will get an N1 bottom end from as they are not too common any longer and chances are you will only be able to get a used one that will need a rebuild. You figure of $6k cnd. would pretty much cover an entire RB30 long block build up. Here is a basic breakdown of what I am doing. These prices are in U.S. dollars. But with the current conversion rate it's almost the same.

RB30 block $1200

Forged rods $850

Forged pistons $800

ACL bearings $250

ARP head studs $300

N1 oil pump $250

N1 water pump $250

Tomei head set $350

RB26 cylinder head $1000

All of the other parts such as adjustable cam gears, high lift cams, etc are not figured in as you would need to get them either way you go. If you decide to go with a large single turbo, the extra displacement of the RB30 will help spool it more quickly. As a comparison, a complete running stock RB26 can be had for around $4-$5k.

Brian

Either one is going to be more motor than you need or will really use on a street car in all honesty. 400-500 hp is fairly common on the RB26 with basic bolt ons. The RB30 will yield that much on minimal boost as well. Now' date=' I'm not sure where you will get an N1 bottom end from as they are not too common any longer and chances are you will only be able to get a used one that will need a rebuild. You figure of $6k cnd. would pretty much cover an entire RB30 long block build up. Here is a basic breakdown of what I am doing. These prices are in U.S. dollars. But with the current conversion rate it's almost the same.

RB30 block $1200

Forged rods $850

Forged pistons $800

ACL bearings $250

ARP head studs $300

N1 oil pump $250

N1 water pump $250

Tomei head set $350

RB26 cylinder head $1000

All of the other parts such as adjustable cam gears, high lift cams, etc are not figured in as you would need to get them either way you go. If you decide to go with a large single turbo, the extra displacement of the RB30 will help spool it more quickly. As a comparison, a complete running stock RB26 can be had for around $4-$5k.

Brian[/quote']

you rocks, mang.

thats pretty much what i was looking to hear (but if anyone else has some pointers; by all means, chime in!)

i think i'll save the money here and there and go with a RB30 build-up.

i know it's a bit much for a street car, but i have a vw jetta i can play with as a daily.