HybridZ

The door... DOOR! STOP! DOOR!...

zero

... I yelled as my best friend backed up his father's miata, door open, in his driveway until it made contact with the achilles heel of my car. The end of the drivers side rear quarter, around the taillight, on my car, is made of a careful balance of foam, rust and bondo. The previous owner, obviously forseeing such a situation, decided that breakaway panels were the best way to protect the occupants. After realizing the error he made, my friend slowly pulled the miata forward, revealing a small scratch on the inside of the door. My car, however, has a new vent; easy access incase I decide to test how rich my car is running by inhaling the exhaust...from the drivers seat. Pics to come.

I hate to do it, but I need this car to drive to work so I can't do all the rust replacement that I wanted to do right now. It looks like, I am going to have to do a bondo respackle just to get the car air and water tight so I can drive it around. I really hate doing shoddy work, but I simply dont have the time right now. Ahhhhh I want a new, clean shell.

If its just a 8th" deep or deep but the affected area is really small, bondo is fine. To combat the bondo from aborbing moisture and causing rust, I use phospheric acid mixed with it. It will clean the surface from surface rust and if moisture is aborbed it will not cause it to rust. The acid will stop eating the metal once it reaches a certain pH balance, so you don't have to worry about it eating through. But the acid will eat at the paint though, so if the paints not gone don't worry about it.

The acid will actually cause the bondo to cure faster, so use less harden, and work quickly. You can always try to "pop" it out, but it will still leave some evidence of a dent, so you would still need to use body filler to clean it up.

eh its a bit more than a door ding, he pretty well backed into the corner of the car. The inner door frame, pretty strong stuff, struck the fender at maybe 4mph, and stopped the miata. Again, I know I need to replace the metal there, but I just can't do it right now. Looks decent enough and should keep further water out of the area long enough for me to fix it later.

Just a little aside..

Body filler will absorb moisture, most spray can primers do not block or stop moisture in any way, so it'll get wet pretty easily. Enough moisture in the bondo will not only rust the metal but cause the filler to crack and fail (we had a problem with this on a Mazda truck we did at school). I know your repairs are only temporary and I dont know what paint you used, but it looked like a spray can primer. Just wanted to warn ya, you may want to get an enamal or something water proof to spray over the repair to further waterproof it.