HybridZ

KA Tranny Mount HELP!!!

oinojo

right now im in a pickle... ive searched all over the net trying to figure out how you guys were able to install the tranny mount and i have no luck. Ive also slotted the hole of my original tranny crossmember in order to try and move it a tad forward, but its still too short. Any help would be awesome...

jon

your not gonna get anywhere slotting the hole as the trans mount is a saddle that stratles the crossmember, what I did was to cut the stock crossmember into thirds put the 2 sides in place and bolted the mid section to the trans and positioned the trans and tack welded the pieces together, keep in mind that the KA trans sits at an angle so you might beed to add some pieces, in my car being one of the first series, I had to move the center sections back about 2 or 3 inches and I aligned a piece of steel tubing on each side to allow for more contact area to weld if that makes any sence at all, I'v run this mount for 2 years with no problem, later chassis might be a bit different but I suspect your still gonna have to cut and weld the crossmember

pallnet from zcar.com suggested that i buy a bone stock GM transmission mount and that it should be perfect to use with my stock tranny crossmember. By the looks of it, it should work perfectly but has anyone else on this board gone this route?

Author: pallnet

Date: Jul 28, 10:56pm

Slot the stock Z tranny member and mount the GM mount to the tranny. It all goes together with no issues.

Did this today!!! no problems whatsoever... i think that this should be included in a KA tranny conversion sticky one of these days. It makes things less stressful. Thanks

jon

oh good im glad you got it together, what year GM transmission mount did you end up getting?

well first i asked the guy at NAPA for a 1977-1982 Chevy Caprice... turned out there were none available so i told him that i just needed a general motors transmission mount and was lucky enough to have one available. Unfortunately i dont know what car he looked up for or if he just looked it up under the car manufacturer GM.

They are allover Ebay.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/?from=R40&satitle=gm+transmission+mount

3d_1.JPG

BTW, the urathane ones made by Energy suspension are a little taller/thicker and not recomended unless you have a way to lower the tranny X-member by about 1/4-1/8 of an inch. This one might put the U's in the driveshaft under some stress.