HybridZ

Anyone ID this diff?

dat240zg

This is kind of interesting...maybe. This is a R-180, but has some different markings on the top. It's different than any of the other diffs that I have laying around. Pretty sure that it's just a R-180, 3.90 but....

Someone take a look at the pics and set me straight. Normal R-180 door stop?

Pic:DSC03257.JPG

Here's a better pic of the diff:

Pic:DSC03271.JPG

Thanks.

Bryan

Dat240zg

This looks to me like a R180 with the more aggressive ramps and 2 pinion gears.

Heres the ramp part of my R200 LSD. The way this works is that as you apply power the cross pins move forward to back (in the picture left to right) inside the two outer pieces. This compresses the two outer pieces (pressure rings) which puts pressure on the clutch stack. The angle of the ramps can be more agressive or less agressive. Mine is the less aggressive style.

90952way.jpg

bjhines has the more aggressive style:

R200_NISMO_ramps.JPG

You can see that his ramps are not as steep which makes it easier for the crosspins to spread the pressure rings apart and so it applies more lockup to the clutch stack. It's a little hard to see in your picture, but it looks like the more agressive ramp to me.

The only bad part about yours is that it looks like a 2 pinion. I know 2 people who owned this diff, and they both broke it. They both drove like maniacs, but regardless the 4 pinion is stronger. You can check if it's two or 4 pinion by spinning the ring gear and see how many cross pin ends there are.

Here is a top view of the case opened showing the 4 pinion gears. You can see the holes for the cross pins around the edge of the case.

90954pin.jpg