HybridZ

info. on BRE 240Z race car?

zeiss150

Hey guys I just got the history of the Z book for my B day and I was reading about the BRE 240Z race car and I was wondering if anyone know's what kind of mods they did to it in order to kick everyones a$$. Does anyone know what kind of cam they used ... was the E31 head super ported and pollished, did they do anything to the short block, How much RWHP were they getting, do we have any pictures, did they use SU's if so what needles did they use, was there anything done to the intake manifold? As you can see I have some questions about the car its self. The book talks about all the awards Datsun wone and the drivers and SCCA and BRE and Bob Sharp racing, which is all very interesting but I wanna know the specs. Keep in mind I'm only 4 chapters into the book so if the info is deeper into the book please forgive this post. The mentioned in the book that they used a performance crank shaft to limit the vibrations at 7800 RPM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But they don't specify what year they did that in. Has anyone tried to build a replica version of that 240 race car and if so what did you do?

Thanks guys, Im just having fun learning :burnout:

Search for username rc's240z. He's got a fairly accurate BRE replica. There has been some discussion about the GT2 L24 engines (CP which they raced back in the day turned into GT2). I guess 9000 rpm and 350 bhp and a lifespan measured in hours is what to expect there.

You might also see if you can find a copy of "How to Hotrod Your Datsun". That's not the complete title, but I'm sure you'd find it with that. It had a lot of 510 info, but had a section on the Bob Sharp and BRE cars too IIRC.

I did some googleing last night and I found an interview with Some of the guys that worked on the BRE 240Z. He said that they didn't do much to the engine it was pretty much stock. except for that crank problem, which nissan fix, it was the most stock race engine they ever had. If they were able to get 9000 RPM then that couldn't be a "stock" head, or could it? I'll search for rc's240z but I did a search on hybrid and didnt get any info.