HybridZ

I am just about to give up...

...and take my Z to a shop.

I got a pal working on it, but hes busy, and I dont know enough to tackle the problem. Basically the cars timing is off, lots of low-end power, mid is decent but the top end bogs like crazy. Compression test revealed low pressure in 2 cyl, but he fixed it by tightening down the valves. So we figured it had to be one of three things:

1)blown head gasket

2)burnt piston

3)cracked cyl head

Its this car...

http://classifieds.hybridz.org/showproduct.php?product=2143&cat=8

He ruled out all of those, and says its down to bad timing, so we pull the timing chain cover. Lo and behold, its a double roller to my surprise and its not stretched, and the dots are lined right up. Before the damper was mis-alligned we think, there was a painted line on it for some reason.

So we go to start it with the timing chain cover off, ignition doesnt want to work. I have no idea what to do here. He says this is small stuff, but its hard to hear that when all my loved ones call it a peice of crap.

So yeah, Ill probabaly pay a shop a grand to fix it, but man, I bought this car a month ago and it is so dissapointing to know that a stock 84 camaro can beat me. So I need this thing re-assembled, timed, and adjusted. I am growing impatient, so thats why Im consdiering a shop instead of working on this car once a week for another 3 months to get it running. I make enough now to pay for repairs.

And yeah James, if you are reading this, I just want to to work.

Guest dirtyt

make sure the vacum advance is working on the dizzy. i had the same problem in the past. its just a sbc there aint nothing on there that cant be to hard. all so check the plug gap it could be to much. make sure your not leaning out at high rpm as well. perhaps see if you can borrow another carb off some one to make sure yours isnt in need of re jetting.

Don't diagnose a problem by throwing new parts at it.

1. Check to make sure that the distributor is seated correctly on the intake and that you have a little up and down play on the shaft (not binding). If it is binding add some shims between the intake and dizzy.

2. Disconnect and plug the vac. adv. line.

3. With the timing light, make sure that the ign. is advancing smoothly via the mech. advance.

4. Make sure that the coil and plug wires are testing out correctly with an ohm meter.

5. Make sure that you are getting fuel. Check the float levels and linkages.

6. Is it manual or auto?

Tim

If your running a 305, you don't need more carb. It is possible that yours is gummed up or not tuned properly though. Along the lines of what Tim is saying, I had a sticky mechanical advance and it made it crap out on the top side. Get a timing light and make sure your dizzy is working correctly.

jeff

1) gonna have to check on this one, i dont know.

2) done

3) need to check that

4) i got a OHM meter and all new wires

5) ill test that, need to check the gas tank aswell

6) 350 auto, 3 speed with a shift kit.

yeah, I know throwing money at a car doesnt fix problems, but (and i know some of you will argue) but the idea of a new part in my mind alleviates if that part is the culprit, sort of a process of elimination.

Thanks for the help guys. I get together with the mechanic tomorrow, this time with a CORRECT battery (was using a tiny one and the engine woudlent turn over).