HybridZ

Did I make everyone angry... or am I just stoopid???

Guest Mike

I've been receiving very helpful responses from you guys... but now... nothing. Did I make everyone angry with me? I'm sorry. What did I do? Did I expose myself as the moron I am? Im sorry... I've had no performance automotive exposure for the last quarter century. I still need help.

What do you need help with. I have been slammed as of late so I have not been on this site much lately. The Guys here are most helpful, I don't understand whats going on?

Mike

I think the originators of this site are tired... dealing with too many questions. I can't blame them for that. However, I thought other members would answer my inqiries.

My latest questions invloved "which aftermarket ignition system to buy". I'm considering the Accel 500+ or their 375+ system. I want a long-term solution... a RELIABLE system. I want in-dash conrol of initial timing, beginning RPM advance, the curve, total advance, rev limiters, high RPM retard, a window switch for nitrous retard, etc., again... all controlled at the dash via fingertip controls. I DON'T want a complicated piece-meal system with lots of added controls. I want a turn-key system.

What do you need help with. I have been slammed as of late so I have not been on this site much lately. The Guys here are most helpful' date=' I don't understand whats going on?

Mike[/quote']

My latest questions invloved "which aftermarket ignition system to buy". I'm considering the Accel 500+ or their 375+ system. I want a long-term solution... a RELIABLE system. I want in-dash conrol of initial timing' date=' beginning RPM advance, the curve, total advance, rev limiters, high RPM retard, a window switch for nitrous retard, etc., again... all controlled at the dash via fingertip controls. I DON'T want a complicated piece-meal system with lots of added controls. I want a turn-key system.[/quote']

If a person's question becomes too esoteric or technically specific, there is a good chance no one else has done sufficient research or run the item(s) you are considering... especially long enough that they feel comfortable certifying that the items are long term dependable.

Since you know what you want, I'd see which systems will do it, and go shopping. Then try asking if anyone is running the systems that make the cut, and how they like them.

I've seen some igniton threads at http://www.chevelles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

I've had a few questions go unanswered myself. I hope it wasnt because everybody hates me.:violin:

<>

• Administrators
I've been receiving very helpful responses from you guys... but now... nothing. Did I make everyone angry with me? I'm sorry. What did I do? Did I expose myself as the moron I am? Im sorry... I've had no performance automotive exposure for the last quarter century. I still need help.

Mike,

I seriously doubt you offended anyone. If I remember your original post correctly, I got the impression what you're asking for isn't available (that I'm aware of). The closest thing to meet your needs would probably be a standalone engine managemnet system ie, Megasquirt, Wolf3d, etc.

rt

If a person's question becomes too esoteric or technically specific' date=' there is a good chance no one else has done sufficient research or run the item(s) you are considering... especially long enough that they feel comfortable certifying that the items are long term dependable.

Since you know what you want, I'd see which systems will do it, and go shopping. Then try asking if anyone is running the systems that make the cut, and how they like them.

I've seen some igniton threads at http://www.chevelles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

I've had a few questions go unanswered myself. I hope it wasnt because everybody hates me.:violin:

<>

You're funny A.G. I didn't intend to play my violin of sorrow... was just wondering why all my inqiries were going unanswered. My whining did get a reply though:2thumbs:

I'll check out the thread you supplied. THANKS!!!:)

Mike' date='

I seriously doubt you offended anyone. If I remember your original post correctly, I got the impression what you're asking for isn't available (that I'm aware of). The closest thing to meet your needs would probably be a standalone engine managemnet system ie, Megasquirt, Wolf3d, etc.

rt[/quote']

Thanks rontyler,

I found the 500+ available at one dealer. However, it seems that the 375+ is pretty much the same unit... and much less pricey at under $200 "street price".

What I don't know is how effective and reliable the Accel units are. From what I gather, from a reliability point-of-view, I should stay away from the analog MSD units. Is that right? Are MSD's digital pieces more reliable? What about the Accel units? Does anyone know?

I'm not sure what a Accel 500 is and the Accel 375 to my knowledge is new Spring 2006. I don't know of anyone who has bought and installed it. Most people I know are using MSD or Mallory ignition systems. Buy the Accel 375 system and give us a writeup on it.

LARRY

Thanks LARRY. The Accel 500+ is brand new and I've only found it at one retailer so far. I'm trying to save headaches and costly "miskates" buy asking the folks on this forum for advice. If I buy the Accel unit' date=' I'll definitely share my opinion once I've had it awhile.

From what I've gathered reading these forums, the MSD analog units tend to burn up, while the Mallory and Crane units are relatively long-lived. I haven't found enough data on the MSD [i']digital[/i] units to come to a conclusion, however.

Really, I suppose I want to have my cake and eat it too. I want all the bells-and-whistles, yet I want it affordable. I haven't found the right solution. I could spend upwards of $1000+ on a complete digital MSD system, but I just can't afford that. It may be necessary to downgrade to the MSD E-Curve dizzy and be satisfied without in-dash controls... whimper, whimper, whine, whine:rolleyes:

Sorry Man

I would have to research it as I am using an old accell cd system. I think the new msd digital boxes would fit your needs.

Thanks v80z. How do you like your current Accel system? Which one do you have?

From what I've gathered reading these forums' date=' the MSD analog units tend to burn up, while the Mallory and Crane units are relatively long-lived. :[/quote']

My suggestion to you is go to some speed shops in your area or if you have a dyno place near you, just talk to them and check some cars out and see what the owners are using. BTW I'm using a MSD6 BTM and after 4 years and 15,000 miles on it, it's still running great. I'm running 10 lbs. boost on my blower. Ignition systems are like car models, everyone has their favorite. Good Luck in your quest....

LARRY

what i hate is everones snap reactions on this board to call people stupid and to tell them to use the search function right away. i HATE that, if someone wanted a FAQ sheet they wouldnt want interaction from other people in the hoby and their personal experiences and suggestions.

You're funny A.G. I didn't intend to play my violin of sorrow... was just wondering why all my inqiries were going unanswered. My whining did get a reply though:2thumbs:

I'll check out the thread you supplied. THANKS!!!:)

You're welcome... BTW, laughable is one of the things I do best. :icon46:

There is a fellow with the handle of "IgnitionMan" at Grumpyvette's other home:

http://www.chevytalk.org/threads/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/UBB64

But I don't know that I've ever seen him discuss the units you are considering.

<>

what i hate is everones snap reactions on this board to call people stupid and to tell them to use the search function right away...

LS1, I'm sure you've seen this: http://forums.hybridz.org/announcement.php?f=76&a=2

I would consider calling someone stupid to be a reportable breach of conduct. We HybridZ'ers may not always agree, but we try to be civilized in our differences of opinion.

I do think that asking Newbies to search should be done gently; the object is to get them to look, not to insult or make them go away.

Three "I" sentences in a row: Gobs of humility here.:redface:

<>

My suggestion to you is go to some speed shops in your area or if you have a dyno place near you' date=' just talk to them and check some cars out and see what the owners are using. BTW I'm using a MSD6 BTM and after 4 years and 15,000 miles on it, it's still running great. I'm running 10 lbs. boost on my blower. Ignition systems are like car models, everyone has their favorite. Good Luck in your quest....

LARRY[/quote']

Thanks LARRY,

There seems to be one favorite speed shop in the San Antonio area and I'm not sure I agree with their suggestions. They suggest installing a new MSD billet dizzy with old-school weights and springs, 6 AL, and HVAC Coil. The latter two make sense, but it just seems silly to spend my money for old technology on the dizzy. Doesn't it seem logical to go all electronic and avoid the mechanical advance? It's funny that there are nearly a couple million people in this area and so little support for these things.

what i hate is everones snap reactions on this board to call people stupid and to tell them to use the search function right away. i HATE that, if someone wanted a FAQ sheet they wouldnt want interaction from other people in the hoby and their personal experiences and suggestions.

Thanks LS1 240Z,

No one called me stupid... I did that:redface: I agree though that telling people to use the search function is often counter-productive. All too often, search results leave many unanswered questions. I do search for answers, but I never find all the data I want.

And yes... the interaction is what these forums are all about... you hit that one straight on the head:bonk:

i dont think anybody has blatently called someone stupid, but the way people word things sometimes sounds like the poster is talking down to another person. everybody needs to keep in mind that everybody at one time was a car guy that asked stupid questions.

being hostile and immediately directing people twards the general search feature that brings up 567 pages of random posts is not the way to get new members to feel welcome.

You're welcome... BTW' date=' laughable is one of the things I do best. :icon46:

There is a fellow with the handle of "IgnitionMan" at Grumpyvette's other home:

http://www.chevytalk.org/threads/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/UBB64

But I don't know that I've ever seen him discuss the units you are considering.

<>

Thanks A.G. I've registered at chevytalk and am awaiting email verification.

I must admit, trying to remember these things has become difficult for me. It's been more than a quarter century since I worked on any performance engines and I've forgotten A LOT. My lousy memory and declining cognitive abilities are frustrating. Maybe my BRAIN has ignition problems:shock:

i dont think anybody has blatently called someone stupid' date=' but the way people word things sometimes sounds like the poster is talking down to another person. everybody needs to keep in mind that everybody at one time was a car guy that asked stupid questions.

being hostile and immediately directing people twards the general search feature that brings up 567 pages of random posts is not the way to get new members to feel welcome.[/quote']

Thanks LS1 240Z. No worries:smile: So far, folks have been very kind and helpful to me on this forum.

I agree that searches are often either fruitless, or like you say... produce a gazillion posts with varying validity. I do it anyway just so I can say that I did:wink: I do find useful data but never find all the information I want. Maybe I'm being too specific at times and should take the leap into new territory myself, then share my findings with others. The problem is that I can't really afford to gamble with my time or $$$. So... I keep asking questions.