HybridZ

Wish me luck!

veritech-z

Alright guys, I'm going to take my GRE today at 4 so I can get out of this crappy saturn dealership and start doing something that's actually in my field. All I need to do is come up with 1000pts or better (I've heard you usually score pretty close to your SAT score, so if that's true I'll do fine since I got a 1340-of course that was 8 years ago...) The plan for my master's program is to go down to FIEA, which is a video game design program based out of the University of Central Florida in Orlando. I've got a bachelors in studio art, and I'm wasting away in a BS parts counter job. Figured it was time to make a move for the better, so here we go!

-Max

I'm taking the general test. It's graded like the SAT (the old one anyway, I guess they changed it recently according to my younger brother) So the verbal and math sections I think add up to 1600. It's all on a computer now, so you get your results immediately.

1000 should be no problem, just remember that it's testing how well you can identify trick questions, not how much high school math you remember. Go slower at the beginning of each of the sections. Adaptive computer tests are a LOT harder than paper tests.

I could have given you more advice and some vocab lists if you'd posted a month or two before the test, but I'm sure you'll do fine.

Thanks Forrest, I've been using a study guide for awhile. As an art-brained person, I'm actually more concerned with the high school math than the verbal section. I read quite a bit, and my vocabulary is better than average. Just for comparison, that 1340 SAT score broke down as a 770 verbal (30pts off a perfect score) and a 570 math, so you can see which way my skill set leans. I did much better on the verbal practice tests, so it seems not much has changed...My 29 ACT score I got around that same time was a 34 (out of 36) on the verbal and a 24 math...at least i'm consistent, right?

The actual math tested on the GRE is on a lower level than the math tested on the ACT, believe it or not. There's no trig. The hardest questions are the graph questions, because they like to ask for mathematical relationships no one would ever calculate in real life. Like, what's the percent increase of the percent increase of the random crap on this chart. But those are usually 750+ level questions, so you don't have to worry about it. Just be careful for answers that look convenient or familiar.

<-- standardized test veteran.

Well, keep in mind it's going to be stuff geared towards getting into a video game based master's program, so it might not exactly be Gugenheim material. I'm still at a loss really about what types of things to include. I have to assume they are looking for character based stuff...I've talked to the guy in admissions about it once, and I recently sent him an email asking for some clarification, but I haven't heard back yet. This part is always hardest for me, since once I'm done with a piece of art, I'm over it and would rather make something new. There haven't been too many pieces I've done that made me step back and just be proud of it for awhile. I always want to move on to the next thing. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll do at least one S30 drawing just to stay true to my other passion, but other than that....