HybridZ

Got 300ZXT halfshaft but missing a piece

TheNeedForZ

I bought a pair of Z31 turbo halfshafts along with a 87' CLSD(they come from the same vehicle). When the package arraived, there is something missing(at least I think) on one of the shafts. Here's my question I asked the seller cut and pasted here. The seller hasn't responded yet but I figure it won't hurt to ask more people.

Hi,

I got the CLSD diff and halfshafts today. I am still checking everything to make sure there is no more missing parts, however there is something missing, I think, and it's one of the sealing caps.

There are two halfshafts and they should both have a silver-colored lid that seals the joints at the wheel end, but only one of them has the lid. The other one doesn't and I can see the grease and joint inside.

this is my drawing of a halfshaft, with the differential end(the one end that has spleens going into the diff) pointing up, and wheel end pointing down.

...._

....|| <----diff end, with spleens

.../..

..{...} <----rubber boot

_..||

_..||

..{...} <---rubber boot

..|__|

=[_._]= <---4 bolt flange, wheel side.

......__

......|

...........missing a shiny silver "cap" or "lid" here and the joints and grease are visible and exposed.

The question is, do you still have the cap/lid, if not, is it possible to get it from parts stores?

Some additional question : what is the shiny "lid" called and how is it attached to the shaft? On the one shaft that did come with the lid, I can't take the lid/cap out....

Thanks

there should be an end cap one of mine came with the cap not fitting properly when i got a new metal strap that holds the rubber boot on i asked the cv guy about a new cap and he said not to worry as it mate's up to the flange on stub axle so its not that big issue better with but wont hurt if you dont have have the cap just keeps grease in

Let me know if you find where to buy one id rather put one in but once its bolted up i wont be pulling it out just to fit the cap

mick

As far as I'm concerned, you need the end cap. Unless the mate surface on the stub axle is very smooth and flat, and covers the whole flange area where the cap fits on the axle, it will leak greese once its hot and spinning.....

That should be a pretty common part, although I don't think a parts store will have them.

You might post a plea for some nice HybridZ member to check and see if they have a extra... :mrgreen: