HybridZ

Just for fun

JessZ

I recently got my '71 240zxt running well. The '83 turbo motor is totally stock except for the 3" downpipe and open exhaust. The motor is matted to a 240z 4-speed. I am playing with the 1/4 mile calculator in the miscellaeneous forum and trying to figure out what my time would roughly be. Any ideas how much power this motor is cranking out at the flywheel, and or to the wheels?

The motor is a stock 1983 L28et with stock ECU matted to a stock 1971 4-speed tranny. The only mods are the 3" downpipe and the popoff valve was replaced with a 1" pug. Mr. Insane you were joking when you said 320whp, right? I've seen many posts from you and I know you know more about these motors than that, right? With that much power I could potentially outrun a Viper. I've driven a Viper and there is no way my Datsun is at that caliper, yet that is.:burnout:

I bieleve your car has around 190 stock at the engine. With some mods you can get 320 no problem. Once you get past that you want to rebuild the motor and do forged pistons and balance al the internals. I am looking at doing something simialar to what you are doing. Sometimes you can get some sketchy posts overnight...*glares at Mr. Insane* :-)

JessZ you will find out that this is the BEST site for getting information on any high performance motor, unless you are doing a turbo diesel, that goes into a Z. Just if you don't know that already.

I misspelled, but you what just forget it. This has not turned out to be any fun. I was excited about my project I recently finished, but I'll go chat with Classic Z guys; they're still young at heart.

Bro...lighten-up! Nothing wrong with having a little cyber fun. Heck I get a good ribbing all the time its all part of the camraderie. Your own friends would do the same to you.

To answer your question....stock L28ET healthy 180hp at the crank w your 3" DP and open exhaust (you did not even mention diameter of your "open exhaust", I would say easy 190crank if not more.

Come over here and let me give you a hug!

Mr.Insane bumped his head just before replying...LOL.

Yasin

Yeah I think I did come off a little harsh last night. This move to S.F. has been a real change from living in a small town. I should have just racked out instead of getting frustrated at trivialities, I appoligize.:sour:

Well I got a muffler and a resonator put on my car today and I think it has made a noticable decrease in power. I was hesitant to put the resonator on the car, but the shop guy said it would not make a difference in performance, and I was so deperate to get away form open exhaust I did not reseach the possible detriment. Now I can't tell if it's just that my car is so quiet that I think it's slower, or it is actually in fact slower. Before, when I punched it in first, I hardly had enough time to think before breaking the tires loose into second. Now it seems that I can meditate all the way through first, and third is puting me to sleep. Any thoughts on resonators hindering performance. I searched the subject, but was unable to turn out concrete oppinions on the topic.

No worries! Moving and car project(s) = Double triple stress levels, I know as I am there too!

For a turbo car, open exhuast is the way they like to breathe.... is the resonator straight through or baffling in the way of the air flow?

If you can stand the noise I would recommend the open exhaust or a VERY open chamber 3" muffler (I have a 3" Flowmaster on my L28ET). I do not have a resonator on my car.

Yasin

Yeah they charged another $20 to just take of the resonator. This whole endeavor has now cost me $210. And I'm still left with the Dynomax super turbo muffler, which is not one of those straight thru styles. What I should have done is order an ultra flow muffler from Summit for $69 and have that installed for $60. Craaaaaaap!!!!!

Oh well. it's a good thing I am filthy, filthy rich.:mrgreen:

SLO is a long way from S.F. My girlfriend got a great job working for Venteran's Affairs in San Bruno, just south of The City. I have one year of college left, so I transfered from Cal Poly to S.F. State to finish. Actually S.F. State is a better school for my major anyway. The City is totally different. I enjoy all the extra night life and music that comes through here, but you really pay a price in traffic, cost of living and attitude--big city folk ya know.

Hey JessZ, glad to hear that you got your car up and running. Yeah, an open exhaust is a really bad idea in this area, my friend is running a 94mm exhaust with a strait through muffler on his car and gets pulled over about once or twice a month (although he is not driving a Z).

Yeah I dont think the resonator was your problem. But that turbo muffler is. A straight through design muffler should be quiet enough and still retain a good flowing exhaust. That is what I am running. I have a bullet muffler as a resonator and a magnaflow out back.. I love it.. Good luck..

Hey,

On the exhaust thing, after hearing gabe's car i did the same thing. I am running a 3" DP and exhaust with a dynomax bullit muffler right after the downpipe, and then a dynomax ultraflo SS muffler at the back. I ran with just the ultraflo for a while and it had really bad drone. Now with my wastegate plumbed back in and the resonator there the car is completely different, no drone, and very quiet under boost. I love it. I reccomend you pick up a bullit muffler off jegs for 37 bucks and have them put that in!

Both mufflers are straight through in design then this is the most important thing for a turbo. I had a flowmaster 40 series on my car many many moons ago and that thing was absolute trash. I picked up 2 tenths in the 1/8 mi!!!!!!!! when i took it off, huge restriction.

Good luck with your project.