HybridZ

HELP! Should i get this compressor?

240zV8

Pro 4000 - 5hp - 60 Gal industrial unit..

The girl selling it said it needs a new headgasket because it looses air, but it runs. I'm not real familiar with the pump system on these, but would a headgasket cause the compressor to loose air? how much would a headgasket for that model be? I can get the compressor for $200. should i get it? thanks guys

here's a pic of it

4000un1.jpg

Looks like an Ingersoll Rand? Or possibly a Campbell Hausfeld?

The pro 4000 was manufactured by both.

Not sure about the 60 gal unit but, the 80 gal unit, new, runs in the upper 700.00 range retail. These compressors, regardless of tank size, have been popular for years and parts are plentiful. A bad head gasket will cause the unit to "loose" air while it is in operation due to gasket blow by.

Basicly making it inefficient. Once the tank is compressed, the gasket should have nothing to do with it.

By the way, the 5HP rating means nothing here. Both Ingersoll Rand, Campbell and others including craftman were successfully sued over this electric motors power rating. They wound up being measurably less than 5HP. You will still need at least a 30 amp breaker as well. But if you have priced similar units at 80 gal, the price is right on this one. Look it over!

Devilbiss

model# RA5E60VAD

thanks for the info.... I did a search on the model number to see how much parts were, and the head gasket was like $24, and a new pump is like $125, so i think it will be worth it either way. Because i would get a nice size 60 gal, and even if i needed to get a new motor or pump i would still be around 350-400, and thats a good price for compressor this size.

It may have a cracked weld on the bottom of the tank. The same model is sitting in my garage. My brother had it for several years and hardly used it. Once we plugged it in and started to build pressure you could hear the leak.

We did manage to weld it up though.

• 2 weeks later...

In all honesty, don't waste your time on a single-stage compressor (or a 110V one for that matter) if you plan to use it for doing body work. You can usually find a good used 2-stage/220V for what a new single-stage/110V will cost you.

There's two reasons you want a 2-Stage. First, all of your single-stage units today are pretty much made by one company, and the quality is pretty low. Second, the pumps are designed to only last 10,000 hours. In short, they're throw-away compressors.

A 2-Stage compressor is designed for heavy and continual use, and will last 4-5 times as long as a single-stage. They're also a lot quieter and more efficient than a single-stage.

Something else to consider: you can't get more than about 3.5 HP off 110 volts, it's physically impossible. When you see 110V motors rated for 5, 5.5 or 7HP, that's their peak HP and not what they put out continuously.

Cheapest compressor I'd buy (new) would be the Ingersoll Rand 5HP 230V 2-Stage from Tractor Supply (TSC#3496129). It has an 80gal tank and 175psi max, 100% continuous duty cycle, and 15.8cfm @ 90psi. They're right at $1,000 new. Personally though, I'd spend the extra couple hundred dollars and get something a little more HD like this one:

http://www.industrial-air-compressors.com/air-compressor-3-8.html

Ditto what MrFurious said, dont bother with a single stage unless you like your compressor running all the time.

I bought a compressor a few months ago and I didn't skimp on it. It is just one of those tools that I feel I only want to buy once. With how often I use my compressor it will probably last me 20+ years!

Here's what I bought...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=104208

Here's a post about when I was looking for mine...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103362

Hope that helps!

Guy

well i didn't get it because i thought for the price it would cost to fix plus not knowing how well it works all together, might as well save and get a nice one. Plus i am about to pick up my first welder (hobart handler 140), and have to pay for the welding class i'm getting in, so i can get by with the power tools i have until i need to paint, then i'll get serious about some air/tools....