HybridZ

fan shroud, is it necessary??

SU'dCrazy280

Ok, so I got a new electric cooling fan, a rapid-cool from oreilly auto parts. But, unfortunately, I leave for school in 6 days and I don't have time to wire anything up, so I am putting the old belt fan in, but when taking it out before, I broke a couple of the fan shroud mounting points. So is the shroud really necessary?? There is a shroud at the local junk yard that I could get out of another z, but it would be sort of a pain in the @ss to it that way.

THanks

Mark T.

Being that you will be in Missoula, you might be alright. No brainer that it was designed to have one, and should have one. If you are like me you will forget and one day it'l get ya. You could probably get it wired just as fast as hunting down the shroud. Got six days!:-)

Say howdy to M town and dont drink too much Moose Drool !!

If the rest of your cooling system is working properly, unless you are in extremely hot conditions, you can get by without a shroud. I don't have a shroud for my 76, and in 100 degree weather here (AC on) I've been in crawling traffic for over an hour and the temperatures never got above 210. Most of the time they stay at 190.