HybridZ

Nitrous Question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Question for you all: I want 350-400 hp out of a 350 AND 100-150hp shot of nitrous. what considerations do i have to make in building the engine so the N2O will not do damage? The car will be primarily street w/occasional racing(road). Also, any good sources for information on nitrous systems? Thanks for the help.

Good pistons and rod bolts are a must. Forged crank and rods would be nice, but aren't mandatory for those levels.

Running a $1.25 shot of juice on a 350 - 400 horse motor will build tremendous amounts of torque. The upper end power with juice will still be good, but not as much as the lower torque. With all the extra torque, mediocre driveline parts Will break! Be prepared.

-Andy

Piston seleciton might end up more important that rods or crank but DO use good bolts no matter what, it's not like they cost a mint.

How will you hook up that much power? Anyone running that much of a shot here now? I've only ridden in a few NOS cars, none Zs, and the hit could be violent. A little goes a long ways, 75 or even 25 can win a real close race pretty easily...

Hey Dave-that was quite an informational site you refer'd to.

RickB is running a mild 350 w/100 hp Nitrous Kit. He's made it in the low 12's in the 1/4. Kind of surprised he hasnt chimed in here. He has his own site; email him your question & let him know you're a HybridZ Brother...Sempa-Fi!.

Comp Cams has 5 different cams made just for a nitrous set up. The kits range from a near stock engine, street engine, street machine, Street/Strip & finally a 671 Blower Set up Kit.

Kevin,

Guest kc6wfs

Ya some good reading in there.

I also plan on running Nitrous and have been

trying to save all the good stuff I come by.

I'll only do like 100hp shots, No point in wasting valves or pistons. I'm not even sure what type of pistons I have. Stock ZZ3 Vortec.

Anyone know????

Thanks..

Dave

------------------

www.geocities.com/kc6wfs/240z.html

www.NitroPhotos.com

Jim,

I'm running a 350hp (maybe more on a really good day) 358 sbc with a 125hp powershot. My quarter times are in the low 11's.

RickB run's (I think) a 100hp shot in his 350 sbc and is running high 11's.

John C (the one from Canada) runs either 125 or 150hp shot on his 400 sbc and has run mid 10's eek.gif

The power of nitrous cannot be denied. It truly is amazing. As for violent, I've never really had any problems. Just like anything else, you need to know it's potentials and capabilities. All three of the above systems I mentioned are (again, I believe) plate systems for carburator setups. Plate systems are supposed to "hit" the hardest. However, I've never really felt it. After all, most people on the street just anihilate thier street tires whenever they hit it low.

Personally, I've run about half a dozen cars with Nitrous. The "hardest hitting" system I've felt is my current Z, while the "lightest hitting" was my dry manifold system in my LT1 Impala SS. Having a chioce between dry or a wet system, I would take the wet system any day. Too many things that can go wrong in a dry manifold. Just my $0.02.

-Andy

I'm considering a mild system for my car nce it's put together. We'll see, I've not ever fooled with NOS but I know it's good for a real easy HP bump. My bottom end shoudl take the power easily - everything is aftermarket forged stuff and a steel crank too.

I'm running 125 -150 hp plate system.Even

with drag radials or slicks I can only use it in second and third due to such an increase in torque.

125 hp nitrous systems can be run with mild small blocks, as long as you have good ignition and feul systems.

John C

man...I'm way behind the 8 ball huh? A subject i really like.

I bought my first nitrous system in 81' and the NOS solenoids (fuel and nitrous) still work and operate on one of my former cars to this day.

I have run 200+ shots on standard bore cast piston smogger motors (mid 11's in a V8 Vega) without hurting anything. Make sure you have fuel!

Make sure you have fuel.

Make sure you have fuel smile.gif

Check my past rides page on the website below.

Have fun!

------------------

RickB@DragRacer.com

280V8

http://www.rickb.racemail.com