HybridZ

Roundness of individual flare types...

Careless

hey everyone.

planning out my zee here.

im gonna post some pictures and inquire about the actual roundness or flat/angular look of most of the flares i've seen on the interweb.

Im looking for a flare that isn't so straight in regards to where they bolt up to the body, and where they meet close to the wheel. sometimes i dont think the straight edge shape makes the car look badass enough.

now... i like the roundness of the IMSA flares (attached pic), but they don't come in a rivet/allen bolt style, which i find is classic, and very good looking. However, i feel the roundness lends a hand to the curve that is just above it, right on the quarter panel.

the flares used in Austin's write up are nice, however i have some gripes about them. I would still consider using them, though. but I am feeling something a bit more catered to my tastes.

i feel they dont have that roundness to like the IMSA ones do. and i feel they arent high enough in his setup. i know in the other thread there is talk about a John who has a car with a higher fender flare, but the fender in that pic looks to be a little more slim, or more straight cut (again, something i'm not too keen on). Even if they are the same piece of kit, the problem i would inevitably face is trying to get the flare higher, without making it look goofy because it's no longer lined up with the bumper lines or the stock rear bumper height. if the bumpers were still there.... cool. however. the bumpers would be removed, and the rear pan molded to be flat. which is why the flare itself will not have a bumper to look "correctly placed" with, in terms of height. which is also a bonus of the IMSA flares, as they do not taper. BUT, again. looking for that bolted goodness, as i will be painting the car with an old steam locomotive theme, with dark metallic green, gold pintstripe accents, here and there, and black spoiler, front damn, and flares....hopefully.

im also contemplating the carbon ZG flares, and wondering whether those are a tad more round than the flexible plastic ones, and i think the carbon ones look stellar without the rubber welting because the top of the flare itself does actually look a bit more rounded (i assume this is because it's mutli-layer dry carbon.. and considering the gold/black them that is going on, aside from the main green colour, i think the carbon weave looks somewhat like a gold and black weave when looked at on different angles. That's a bonus!

can anyone help? i think i made it quite clear in the pics attached, but if there are any questions as to what im asking for... well i guess i didnt explain myself well enough. hehe. i tend to get caught up in the idea without expressing it properly, sometimes =)

lemme know of anything!!!!

wheels-16_thumb.jpg

watsdone_thumb.jpg

Z-70-78-carbonfiberZGflarekit-340-30lbs-1_thumb.jpg

i decided to make a quick hacker of someones nice Z here, and decided to show the height at which i would like the rear flare to sit. dont mind the screw hole that is just overtop of the last one on the left side. the top one is where it will go.

the bottom one is what's left over from the layer of the image under it.. its just that i havent slept for 24 hours, starting riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight........now.

so i didnt bother.

mypic73_thumb.jpg

To each his own, I cant stand bubbly flares like the imsa ones etc. My car sits level and I cant stand fender gap in between the wheel and the fender.... so to make my car look the way I want the rear ended up being a little lower in comparison to the body line you drew....

Again its all up to the type of suspension you have, your ride height, and how you want it to look. There really isnt a specific place to mount ZG flares...

heres a pic of my car from the side, you can see how the flares sit in relation to wheels:

12.jpg

*please do not save this picture or link it anywhere else*

heres a pic of my car from the side' date=' you can see how the flares sit in relation to wheels...[/quote']

WALLPAPER!

Heh, love shots like that!

Anyway, I have to agree with one thing: installing the ZG too far up makes the gap too large and looks unsightly. 240hoke's ZGs are right where I want them. The flares are in perfect relation to each other and the car. The distance from the top of the fender to the top of the flare is higher in back because of the rear fender upward bulge. I love it.

Davy

Guest 280ZForce

austin (240hoke) actually got a photoshoot for a magazine is what I heard...dunno which 1 or the details, just rumored.

lol..but good luck just saying dont link it or save it. yeah right...too many envious people for that move.

that will be nice...too clean of a Z...was that shot for some internet magazine? or some regular magazine?

careless, Get some ZGs and then mold them in covering the bolt holes. I think that makes a very good looking, medium coverage flare.

*edit* tunerzine? :-)

right click on picture and hit properties...

My car sits level and I cant stand fender gap in between the wheel and the fender.... so to make my car look the way I want the rear ended up being a little lower in comparison to the body line you drew....

ahhh' date=' i totally understand the wheel gap issue.

would it not have been possible to keep the crease line even and just get bigger tres in the rear and lower the sucker a bit?... perhaps stretch the tires too?

just a thought, but man, your car is awesome. im not dogging it in any way, as i dont even have a Z... and that pic is really well shot, (considering i do some photography of my own ='] )

let me guess though, you guys were going like 10 km an hour in that shot, and someone just dropped the shutter speed down to about 90 - 125?

LOL. they look SOOO hard to do, and they're relatively fun to take, and they take a while to get right, but they are look bad ass and the work is worth it.

hmmm.. just like the fender flares :D

Here are MSA "street flares" which are not as wide as the MSA "IMSA" style.

They are patterned after what some of the old SCCA CP Z's used.

3323green_profile-med.jpg

green_rear_low_slicks.jpg

ewww... those are pewp.

i like the ones that i posted on the white car. are they supposed to be the same?

c'mon careless...don't be so negative nanny...the flares you like are based from a VW bug. The old bugs...

Have you seen hoke's car? It is clean inside and out...and underneath...and inside the wheelwells... that car is far beyond 90% of the cars on here...He has adjustable suspension sohe has it where it looks good in real life...not just in pictures.I don't think you understand how low that car is...3" at the crossmember if I remember correctly.

The ones on the white car have an inch or two more clearance than the "street flares" on my old green car. I used to list the color of the car when I autocrossed as baby diaper green, (those of you with kids know what I mean), so "pewp" flares fit right in I guess.

The ones on the white car have an inch or two more clearance than the "street flares" on my old green car. I used to list the color of the car when I autocrossed as baby diaper green, (those of you with kids know what I mean), so "pewp" flares fit right in I guess.

yeah im actually planning the car to end up green, so the colour doesnt bother me (my room is actually painted a similar colour, with only a slight variation in brightness)

the reason why i said "pewp" is because i thought those were the same flares as the ones i posted in the white pic, and i dont think they look quite proportional to the rest of the car, but for functionality and legal purposes, if the shoe fits.....

i dont know why everyone got all hulk hogan on my ass, sheesh!..

just sayin if those are the IMSA flares i posted on the white car, then i dont like them. plain and simple.

I like the flares austin has on his car, and if i cant find the carbon ones, i might have to go for those, but im just lookin for alternatives that are a little more bubbley, and not so much angular.

which is why the bubbley look of hoke's flares i find quite nice.

who is this hoke? how can i contact him or see more of his car?

sorry if i seemed negative, i just dont like those MSA flares :/

green is cool though :wink: