HybridZ

225/60/14 Vrs 235/60/14 Which Size?

I am trying to decide which size to go with on my old turbine style wheels. If I remember right the last time I measured the wheels they are zero offset. I am concerned that the 235s might hit the wheel fenders in the rear.

I would like to go with the same size all around.

I do have coil-overs so there is no concern on the inside.

Keep in mind that the width number refers to the MAXIMUM width of the tire, which is usually NOT the tread. My old 215/60-14s had a wider tread than my new 225/50-16 ES-100s. For fender rubbing, the tread width typically matters most. For rubbing against the suspension, the max width typically matters most.

I have found that if you dig deep enough on the Tirerack.com site, you can find the spec for the tread width. For example, check out the ES100 page. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Yokohama&model=AVS+ES100&tirePageLocQty=

Scroll down to the 225/50WR16 and you'll see the Section Width (max width) is 8.9" and the tread width is 8.3".

And keep in mind that it will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and even between models within a brand.

Sorry, I am a dumbass for not posting the rim spec.

I have BFG's on 14 x 7 US Indy - 5 slots . I have 225 /60/ 14 in the rear and 215/60/14 in the front. They have zero offset.

As I posted earlier the rear did come down on the very very edge of the outer sidewall, when hitting a bump hard. I have decent suspension. So I ruled out any problems with poor springs, struts, bushings.

I just took my angle grinder and removed about 1/8" of an inch on the inside of the wheel opening.

Actually, I drove around with it hitting for a while before I figured out what the noise was. It really just ever so slighty cut into the tread where it meets the side wall. It is nearly impossible to see where it cut. Now I also must admit it only did it on the right side. I still dont know why. everything is equal, tires, wheels, etc.

I am planning to move the fronts, (the 215's) to the back of my newly aquired 240 ( Thank You! VihnZXT !) and get something smaller for the front, I think the 215's in the front look too wide, almost jeepish.

One more thing , I'm talking about a 77 2+2 car