HybridZ

Need advice about fuel injector mounting

Evan Purple240zt

I am helping out a freind with an RB25DET. He has a top feed fuel rail installed. The only way we could make the injectors fit was to stick the pintle down into the intake, and use the actual body of the injector to seal it to the intake, which also is pressed against the injector boss. Actually it fits really well, using the side feed O-rings.

He has been having fueling issues, namely stumbles and misfire. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the body of the fuel injector contacting the intake manifold and heating up. These are 550cc venom fuel injectors.

It develops a stumbly misfire, its a soft miss, not a hard misfire. You can hear it popping out of the exhaust. It still seems to do it when the motor is cool, but not as bad. Its noticeable under low load, and not under high load as much. Next question is whether or not the injectors were damaged from the heat.

He is sending the injectors back to the original seller under warranty, but we are trying to make this situation go away and if this scenario could cause problems.

Thanks in advance guys, this has been a real pain to troubleshoot.

Evan

Your description of your installation is bit unclear. I would have to see a close-up picture to help give you some advice.

Here is what I can tell you as of now.

-as long as the injectors and o-rings are firmly seated and pressed to the manifold, you should be ok.

1.check all the vaccum lines, gaskets, intake piping, and injector bosses (seals) for air leaks

~~~~use a smoke machine, or spray the everywhere with soapy water, or better yet spray all connections with carb cleaner and listen for the engine to smooth out--be careful, this technique can be hazardous-keep a fire extinguisher handy. I have never had a fire doing this, but I know those who have. Just be careful not to spray the exhaust or egr piping.

2. EGR system can cause all kinds of missfire problems, stumbling, hesistation, and lack of power depending on the severity of failure.

To test::: connect a vaccum gauge/pump (like a Mityvac from an auto parts store) to the egr vaccum port. Create 20in/hg of vaccum. The Egr should hold vaccum for atleast 30 seconds, if not, replace the egr valve. Reason being in cold temp and under load, especially under turbo boost, a weak egr diaphragm can cause the egr to open at undesired times and create the problems you have mentioned.

If these don't solve your problems, hit me back and I will give you more advice and diagnostic procedures.

Thanks for the super fast reply. Basically, the problems started pretty much immediately after installation of the new injectors. That was the ONLY change and we checked everything we could possibly think of.

Basically, there are no leaks but I was concerned about the body of the injector contacting the cast manifold and overheating the injector.

After doing alot of reading, it seems like Venom injectors are problematic in this exact way.. part throttle and idle misfire.

Thanks - Evan

I did read that thread. I guess I was just wondering if the heat from the intake manifold could damage a fuel injector under normal circumstances when there is metal to metal contact.

He is sending the venom's in for warranty service. Who knows whether or not they will actually do anything though. The real question is whether or not to use them again, or just snag onto a set of more reliable units.

Thats why I had posted in the general fueling area.

Evan