HybridZ

GT30R for RB30ET?

Z24O

anyone got any suggestions as to which of these two gt30r variants would work best on an rb30et(fmic,bosch 044,wolf ems,standard manifolds,std sohc,2 1/2" mandrel exhaust)

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant...tegory_Code=GRT

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant...tegory_Code=GRT

looking for good street performance,ie quick spool at low revs/gears with manageable traction....will be running a strengthened jatco 4 speed and 2800rpm hi stall

which size turbine housing?

int or ext wastegate?

just curious how many revs later would a GT35R spool up,how would this effect street traction when boost comes on with the auto??....better/worse than one of the above??

thanks in advance

Hey mate,

The second two digits in the turbo code (`71' in GT3071R) indicate the exducer size of the turbo compressor. Bigger means more hp, and more lag.

I run a 0.82 GT35R on my L28ET, makes positive pressure by 3000, but doesn't really do a great deal until just after 4000. Mind you this is with a weak 5psi wastegate spring. I would say the 0.82 in the smaller GT30 turbine would be very punchy, and probably match the typical cam power range in a L28 quite well. That is just a guess, would need to think about it some more.

I am sure you will be quite happy with whatever you get.

Dave

after reading about the RB30 thread on SAU forums.. (all 200+ pages), I found out that the GT35R works almost perfectly with an RB30 or RB31, but the feeling at which boost comes on smooth or violently is the result of the sizing of the exhaust housing.

.82 exhaust housing size will make it more violent, and 1.06 size allows it to breathe a bit more but comes on a little later, and a little less sharp.

i dont know if that's what you're looking for, but in a drag situation, it could be helpful, considering you don't want it to come on like a lightswitch and toss you sideways.

funny thing... if you go on youtube.com and look for RB30DET, there is a guy in a VL Commo or a Calais Turbo showing how bad ass the power on an RB30DET conversion is. some sweet footage of a 2nd gear hill climb going AWOL. LOL

Ralph - out!

Friend runs a RB30ET/GT35R race car in NZ and has the same experiences as what Careless mentions. With an auto (yes auto track car) and 0.82 housing it was undrivable. 1.06 and a proper boost vs throttle position map and all is well. :)

Dave

right on!

also, RB's suffer from a common oil starvation, or over-oiling problem with restrictors. so you're gonna have to machine up some restrictors out of 6mm+ wide brass or aluminum rod with a proper hole size, and bumping them down into the oil restrictor holes, overtop the stock restrictors, to keep oil level at a neutral height in the head, or to allow it to leak back into the sump efficiently.

that is done by plumbing one of the plugs on the back of the head back down into the oil pan.

RB's were made to take around 6000 - 7000 rpm. constant, so anything over that will make the oil do funny things once it reaches the cam cover area.

again, a lot of info on SAU

thanks guys but i really want the low rev spool,hence leaning towards the smaller turbo,agree tho that the gt35r would be the choice for racing

question: do you know how to read compressor maps?

they don't distribute compressor maps for exhaust housings, but for compressor housings, if you look at the GT30R, it seems as though it would run out of breath.

Then again, the GT30R would make power sooner, but falloff would also happen sooner, which is ok, since you wouldn't have to redline every gear to squeeze power out of it.

But i still think you could benefit from the extra power that the GT35R provides.

is there anything in between?

• 2 weeks later...

At some stage I will post up a map of my GT42R on an RB30DET - from memory, it has a 1.15AR exhaust housing (5" exducer!) and a .82 compressor housing. Ok, I know its big, but I'll soon find out just what it can do!