HybridZ

Mag Wheel Locks

Guest MM_280Z

Don't get ones that are keyed on the outside (I think Gorilla fits this description). A thief can easily hammer a impact socket on and take them off easily. Instead go for the kind with a channel cut into the end.

I wouldn't count on the security of any wheel lock though. My friend has locks on his BMW and never gives the key to the dealer, but they have no problem removing them!

Also, I notice that most ppl just get one set of 4 locks for the whole car. Once you remove 3/4 (or 4/5) lugs, the last is easy to remove; there's little pressure on it since the opposite lug has been removed. That has to make it easier for theives.

So I'd say get 2 sets and install them on opposide lugs, 2 per wheel.

Umm, I've hammered off the interally keyed ones with a socket too! Just have to find a quality socket that almost fits and Whack! you're done.... I'm going to go for some sort of splined lug nuts all around I think, of course now that I want them I'm not seeing ads for them.

personally, i dont like the wheel locks that

are "innies" the kind where you have the key part that goes into the lock versus the socket type. my experience is that those kind

get worn over time, which leads to frustation

and anger when youre stuck on the side of the road trying to put the spare happen. i really dont know how secure you can be with any wheel lock, if people really want your tires they will do a lot worse than use an impact socket to get them. the ones that i have are

the socket type, and the lugnuts that came with them are "hollow" meaning it takes another little socket adapter to take those off, it is kind of like having wheel locks on all four lugs, i dont know how far ill trust any wheel lock, but i least i know ive done all i can, just my opinions.

Leonard

Guest MM_280Z

I just checked with my friend that never has to give his lock key to the dealer. He has McGuard locks, one per wheel.

Another friend has the spline kind for all of his lugs. They are not locks, yet he always has to give the key to the dealer to get service. I think there's some security in rarity. If thieves have just spent all day taking off McGuard locks, they might get at least discouraged by something different. Maybe try a combo of many types and hope the thieves are unprepared.

That's what I was gonna do, mix and match. The more time it takes for someone to steal my wheels the better.

How about one of those big center-nuts like they use in F1 and stuff? I've seen a Skyline that had it, this guy had this huge long wrench to turn it!

owen

Guest MM_280Z

Yea, just hope they don't start whacking at your fender in frustration!

Oh the pin drive wheels? That'd be a big-ass key! I haven't seen locks for them either. They are valuable enough that a thief might just make a special trip to get the huge wrench. Then again, they are probably harder to sell too.

Personally, I favor a vehicle defense system consisting of proximity sensors and high-voltage static pulse generators. Wire electrodes at each wheel, the door handles, and the winshield wiper blades (to ward off the meter maids). icon_cool.gif Anybody gets close... and ZAP! icon_eek.gificon_mad.gificon_eek.gificon_mad.gif