HybridZ

Setting up an R190, problems

zguitar71

Hey I have an R190 that I am having set up. The problem is getting the the pinion saft nut tight. It seems there must be a special tool to do this. According to the person I am dealing with the nut should be torqued to 280 lbs. 1st is that right? I thought it sounded too high. 2nd to torque the nut down the pinion must be held in place, held so that it does not spin. The guy thinks there must be a special tool for this. He has done many r180's and 200's but the 190 is new to him. He said the 180's and 200 are easy to do but the recessed pinion nut is a problem for him. Does anyone know if there is a special tool for this or if one could be made?

Thanks

Christopher

R200 pin nut torque is 137-159 ft/lbs. I don't think it's going to matter whether it is 150 or 250 if the diff uses a solid spacer instead of a crush washer for pinion bearing preload. If it did use a crush sleeve, then you'd want to tighten the nut until the preload was correct and forget about measuring exactly what that torque value is.

If it's a solid spacer, you basically just need to tighten the nut tight enough so that it doesn't back off. I'd red loctite it and hit it with an impact that is known to get to 150. That's how I did mine.